Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help here.

I am currently running BBS CHs with 225/40/18s mounted on them. The CH is an 8.5 rim with a 32 offset so the tire is stretched a bit.

I would like to change tire size without compromising performance so the best tire size for my 4 motion seems to be 245/35/18 or 255/35/18. Both are close to the same diameter as the 225/40/18 although they are 3/4-1" wider.

So here is my concern..........will either of them rub because they are a wider tire?

Is there anyone out there running that tire size with a 32 mm offset?

Oh by the way the Passat is lowered 1.2" riding on Eibachs.

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
julianfang said:
I'm running 235/40-18 on my CH's.
So have you noticed a loss in off the line speed with a tire that is larger in diameter?

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
The tires are the LAST thing I'm really worried about at this point. :wink: the 4 motion, the dual 12" sub box, my fat ass. I haven't even considered off the line speed in relation to the tires. I'll get back to you on off the line speed after I get my supercharger installed. :)

The main thing I would consider is that the CH's are

1. they are already 24.5 lbs
2. expensive

So I'd consider keeping the 40 profile to protect that wheel.

at the most, you "might" consider 245/40-18

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have 255/35/18 Yoko ES100s mounted on 18x8.5" MAEs with a 32mm offset. They rubbed with my Neuspeed/Bilstein suspension going over dips on the freeway, or when I had passengers in the backseat. I had to take off the 3mm spacers on the wheels giving me a 35mm offset, but it still rubbed once in a while.
Now that I have KW coilovers installed it can only get worse. I plan or repalcing the tires with 235/40/18s so I can reinstall the spacer and go a little lower.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FastPassat said:
I have 255/35/18 Yoko ES100s mounted on 18x8.5" MAEs with a 32mm offset. They rubbed with my Neuspeed/Bilstein suspension going over dips on the freeway, or when I had passengers in the backseat. I had to take off the 3mm spacers on the wheels giving me a 35mm offset, but it still rubbed once in a while.
Now that I have KW coilovers installed it can only get worse. I plan or repalcing the tires with 235/40/18s so I can reinstall the spacer and go a little lower.
Thanks FastPassat

I am going to go with the same size now too.......................... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
245 40 18

I just bought a set of 18x8 millie miglia evo 5 with brand new tires,245-40-18, and they are super close to the upper control arm. I did some testing and a 5mm spacer gives me about 1/4 + clearance on the upper control arm. Will that be an ok clearance. I posted this in the wheel and tire forum but only one response. Let me know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts