Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Front to back rotation. Even though it's full sized, you should treat it like a spare i.e. Temporary until your flat tire is fixed. Just make sure to check the spare tire pressure once in a while.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
No you do not need to rotate your spare. Rotation is done front to back and back to front for each side. Every 6K is ideal to get the best wear.

In the old days of bias ply tires, they are crossed rotated i.e. front right to rear left and vice versa. Whcih remind me of one time when my older brother and I switched our '61 beetle tires/wheel with our '68 bus and drove it around the block. We got in trouble when my father caught us. :lol:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Nope.... treat it as a spare and periodically check it to make sure it is still inflated. First road trip I took with the car I found out as I was getting prepared that the alloy spare was flat. :shock:

·
Registered
917 Posts
However you should rotate it 180 degrees in the spare tire well every 5000 miles to prevent permanent polarization of its magnetic fields. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
full size spare

best thing to do w/ a full size spare is not rotate it. instead, when you are ready to buy a set of new tires, if you stick w/ the same brand you can use your spare as one of the new tires, and keep one of the old tires (provided they have some life remaining) as a spare mounted on the steel spare rim.

this is especially handy with a 4motion when you need to replace all of the tires prematurely because you loose 1 to a road hazard. saves you the cost of 1 of the tires. speaking of which, anyone need a pair of mkv4+'s from an 03 glx 4motion - 17k on them (long story, but these are 2 of the remaining good tires - the 3rd is now my spare). I'd sell the other 2 cheap - if not they'll end up on dad's mercedes next year, fortunately it takes the same size, and its not awd so it will take a matched pair :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
12 Participants
greg2step
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing