Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am debating tires and have narrowed it down to Bridgestone Turanzas & Continental Extreme Contacts. What I would like is your impressions/experiences with these tires in real world use. Please no opinions if you have driven them for less than 5K miles. I am particularly interested in noise & treadwear and if you think the Turanzas are worth the extra bread (pushing $200/tire in 225/45/17). I am also considering buying oversized tires (225/50/17 for extra sidewall protection and $50 less) and would like your opinions about this. These tires will be used on poor road conditions (dirt, gravel, NY 17, cows :nervous: , etc.) and aggressively driven. Wheels will be 17x7.5 with -45 offset (probably Ronal R39's or some other sturdy wheel) and car is running stock suspension except Neuspeed rear sway bar. In the works are Bilstein HD's :) and perhaps springs but little or no drop (big drop + rally conditions = :cry: ).
Thank you in advance for your time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: Anyone rolling Bridgestone Turanza or Conti Extreme Cont

poohbear said:
Hi,
I am debating tires and have narrowed it down to Bridgestone Turanzas & Continental Extreme Contacts. What I would like is your impressions/experiences with these tires in real world use. Please no opinions if you have driven them for less than 5K miles. I am particularly interested in noise & treadwear and if you think the Turanzas are worth the extra bread (pushing $200/tire in 225/45/17). I am also considering buying oversized tires (215/50/17 for extra sidewall protection and $50 less) and would like your opinions about this. These tires will be used on poor road conditions (dirt, gravel, NY 17, cows :nervous: , etc.) and aggressively driven. Wheels will be 17x7.5 with -45 offset (probably oem s4's or some other sturdy wheel) and car is running stock suspension except Neuspeed rear sway bar. In the works are Bilsteins and perhaps springs but little or no drop (big drop + rally conditions = bad).
I don't have experience with them on a passat, but I got the Extreme Contacts for my golf last summer and love them. I upgraded the suspension at the same time so I don't have a direct before/after comparison, but I can tell you that they handle great. Road noise is minimal and they are pretty durable. I have hit some nasty potholes and have not had any sort of problem with them. I'd higly recommend them, save the extra money for the suspension!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
We've had the ContiExtreme Contacts on 18" Flik Wasps on our B5.5 4Mo variant since last September. As far as I can tell the ride comfort is very good. Grip is OK. The 4Mo helps. I would purchase them again and am actually looking to put them on my VR6 Jetta!

·
Registered
26,803 Posts
I have the Turanza LS-H (cheaper). I love them,they handle great wet and dry.
They tolerate abuse well and are quiet while drifting and on the highway. Grip is
really impressive for an all-season.

·
Registered
213 Posts
poohbear said:
Hi,
I am debating tires and have narrowed it down to Bridgestone Turanzas & Continental Extreme Contacts. What I would like is your impressions/experiences with these tires in real world use. Please no opinions if you have driven them for less than 5K miles. I am particularly interested in noise & treadwear and if you think the Turanzas are worth the extra bread (pushing $200/tire in 225/45/17). I am also considering buying oversized tires (215/50/17 for extra sidewall protection and $50 less) and would like your opinions about this. These tires will be used on poor road conditions (dirt, gravel, NY 17, cows :nervous: , etc.) and aggressively driven. Wheels will be 17x7.5 with -45 offset (probably oem s4's or some other sturdy wheel) and car is running stock suspension except Neuspeed rear sway bar. In the works are Bilsteins and perhaps springs but little or no drop (big drop + rally conditions = bad).
I've got the Contis. No cows, no dirt, but otherwise they are really good. The grip is most excellent and they are only slightly louder than the stock Contis. I'm not running stock suspension though and that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have 225/45/17 contis, I'm particularly impressed with the low road noise....as far as tread life, I'm not sure yet...my tires are still fairly new and I abuse my tires, but they're holding up.

I think it might come down to price. When I went hunting for tires for my 17s...I looked at the Turanzas...but the only one they offered in that size was the LS-Zs....a little out of my price range...and I don't think they would be that much better than the conti extremes to be worth it for the money. The Conti-Extremes are a bargain for you get in my opinion. I think [email protected] also recommends the Sumitommo HTR+, which is high in the value/performance area as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just left this message on another thread...

I really like my Bridgestone Turanza LS-H's. I came from the stock Conti's, then the Pilot's and now to the Turanza. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this choice. Very quiet, great ride comfort and they do very well in the rain. I hear snow traction isn't that great but here in Northern California that doesn't come into play for me.

They do not have as stiff of sidewall as Pilots or those Conti's but the treadwear and quietness make up the difference for me.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
UPinG: I'm surprised you found them louder than the stock Contis...they were much quieter in my opinion.

They're quiet, comfy, cushy, and...mushy. Turn in is a little sloppy, and cornering stability isn't the best. It should be listed as a touring tire IMHO, not a UHP all-season. But otherwise, its a great tire. Something I'd use on a daily basis and not be regretting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts