Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of putting some "sweat equity" into our new house.

The cabinents have a white laminate surface and the counter tops are white formica. Would like to do the granite tiles and refinish the cabinents.

Any thoughts? What did you do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I don't mind doing the work myself and I'd like to save a buck or two.

From what I understand, a one piece granite or silestone counter top isn't cheap and I was contemplating installing granite tiles with grout to match.

Also, I have laminate covered cabinents and I'd like to change that out too.

Is it better to find someone who'll work cheap and do the one piece granite or should I install the tile?

Can I strip off the old white laminate from the cabinents and recover them with a wood veneer or should I call in a pro?

Thanks for the advice.

We're going to put in new Kitchenaid stainless steel appliances, so I'm trying to redo the kitchen on the cheap.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
lbpassat said:
Sounds like exactly what we did.

Here's the before pic:

And here's the after:

Just post up any questions you have.
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /picture/sraid67/pe3f480a2499cdf0901015f4106b88d20/fbc97836.jpg on this server.

Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.imagestation.com Port 80

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Nope, granite or Silestone aren't cheap. But remember - it is an all in one price: template, product and installation. Laminate prices generally only include product - all other services are extra. The total for stone is (sometimes) not that far off base.
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with new laminate tops - I know several designers who always specify them. They are durable, have a wide variety of colors/patterns, and easily replaced in a few years if you want to freshen the kitchen.
Refinishing/refacing is NOT the inexpensive way to go. In fact, it is usually more than replacing. the only thing that you save with refacing is the hassle of not having a kitchen for a week or so. But you are still stuck with the same, cheap drawers, etc. I'd always prefer someone replace with anything - RTA cabinets from Mills Pride/Ikea etc (use glue when you build them: they are as strong as anyone else's frameless cabinets) or an inexpensive assembled cabinet. Plus, you get a manufacturers warranty with them - unlike refacing.
Tile is easy to do: you can spend about 25 bucks and try it, on an old piece of wallbaord, a few loose tiles from the store, and some mastic and grout. This way, you can see if you really want to tackle such a project.
HTH
Chris

(And yes, AA, I'm working on it)

·
Registered
893 Posts
We did Kraftmaid cabinets with solid granite counters (Giallo Veneziano / Cinnamon Sand). We did the tearout, electrical and finish work (painting, trim, etc) ourselves, but had contractors do the cabinets, counters, and most of the plumbing. It cost us about 3200 for the counters, delivered and installed for about 36sq feet (including backsplash). This was a middle/high price granite.

Before:

After:

After, part 2 (more electrical/finish work):

My only thoughts on tile counters is that the grout lines can be hard to clean.

I am STILL wowed every time i walk into our new kitchen and its been done for about 2 months now. It cost us about $9200 total for cabinets, lighting, counters, plumbing, paint, etc which i think was pretty good for a 75% hands off project. The tile floors we did last year ourselves.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
We started with the floor -

and some ugly plaster -

and then ended up with this nice floor -

and this for a kitchen -

Chris is mentioning IKEA because I have pounded him over the head with it. :wink: We have done two IKEA kitchens, and frankly, their stuff is very easy to build and install. We strongly recommend it.

The cost on the kitchen above was about $17K, and that included the appliances, cabinets, a half bathroom that was gutted, laundry room that was gutted, and all materials. We did farm some work out - the ceiling was a big thing we just refused to do ourselves, and a bit of electrical work. I would also like to preface that that kitchen was very high end - no expense spared.

Cabinets - $6K
Countertops - $2800 (we had acres of countertop, so don't be afraid of that price)
Sink - $750
Range - $1800
Floor tile - $1300
Wall tile - $500
Electrical upgrading and repair - $2K
Ceiling - $1K
Woodworking - $300
Dishwasher - $400

Had we farmed all of the work out, we figure we would have spent over $6K on the floor alone. The entire job would have run us close to $50K.

Our kitchen in Philly ran us about $12.5K and that included having it cut off the back of the house and reframed, along with a full bath. We did everything from the sheathing in. Paid $7.5K to have the demolition and framing done.

If you are willing to do some of the work, you can redo your kitchen for ~$5K very nicely.

I would personally avoid a tile countertop as the grout lines are a haven for bacteria.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, thanks for the pictures and ideas. Your kitchens look awesome.

Our house has a nice double Kitchenaid convection oven. It's less than 2 yrs old and black. The rest of the appliances are almond/bisque. :puke:

We have decided upon a stainless steel Kitchenaid fridge and I'm going to buy the trim pieces/handles to turn the ovens into stainless. We've also decided to replace the dishwasher (it might be the original) with a Kitchenaid stainless, the cooktop and built in microwave. After discounts, we're looking at 3-3.5k on appliances alone.

The kitchen has medium-dark wood floors, white formica counter tops and the white laminate cabinent facing. We can live with the counter tops for now, but the cabinents look dingy. Is it possible to put a fresh coat of paint on the laminate cabinents?

I know that we'll have to eventually replace the cabinents and counter tops, I want to do things in stages (you know, budget!).

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Must easier to do it all at once. Take note of what Chris said about laminate - it's cheap enough to get new stuff made for over the new cabinets, and then order up what you really want two years later.

You can't paint laminate. The paint doesn't stick well. You would have to sand it and then the texture would be messed up.

That's why our cabinets are going soon. :)

WARNING! WARNING! A new kitchen job will commence this summer. Y'all have been warned!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I have to show off what my dad did, he did all custom cabinets and floor (raised like 200 sq ft up about 6") aand all the electrical and well everything. he did have the countertops installed but if I told you the price of how much he paid for the granite you would believe me (very Cheap/ nice to know people)

he had a buddy of him that does custom cabinets for a living and helped my dad, but he did a lot of the work

I will try and get before pictures, it was bad.

enjoy

·
Registered
893 Posts
Especially if you are going to farm some/all of it out, it will definately be cheaper in the long run to do it all at once than to break it up. Especially when cabinets and/or counters are involved.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sorry Johnny - dump the tops anyway. Trust me.
And don't reface. Get knockdowns and build them yourself, if cost is going to be an issue. The do a laminate top.
Just closed on a house that we will rent out for the summer; now I've got to do the entire kitchen/floors (throughout)/and bathrooms by May 1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
TDIBUGMAN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing