Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I had bent valves on my AWM 1.8T head, so had a local machine shop rebuild the head. The cost ended up being very close to the cost of a remanufactured head sold by Rock Auto. Looks like a decent deal at $1400, compared to the VW price of $2200. Looks like the Rock Auto offering has cams and likely the camshaft chain tensioner too.

Here is link to Rock Auto reman head:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4707285&cc=1418734&jsn=446

I also see a lot of eBay offerings from a shop in Washington state. Anyone use one of those?

I have a super long thread in this forum on my "rebuild" process. It has been a major learning experience, but I am thinking this Rock Auto offering might have been a quicker solution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
There are usually used heads for sale on the internet for around $230 - $300. Those are fully loaded also.
Something to keep in mind, after re-building a cylinder head with an engine that has 100k+ miles on it, you run the risk of raising the compression back to factory specs and the piston rings may not seal well enough to keep you from burning major amounts of oil.

Getting a used head is also a viable option.
I've used, used heads before. Matter of fact, my wife's newly re-built engine (03 GLX V6) has an old pair of cylinder heads that were on my original 98 GLS V6 engine that grenaded. I freshened them up with a valve job, new CCT's, camchains and new cam followers. I did all that for less than $1400. I was around the $1100 mark. And that was for both heads combined.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you have a pick and pull a used head is fine, I have a 2003 AWM that I bought after the owner blew the timing belt. Pulled one off a 2005 Audi. $250 (plus the new timing belt, gaskets etc) so about $600 total.

Before that I also have a 2005 AWM that cracked a head, I got a reconditioned one off cylinderheads.com I think, the head was $700 but $200 back when you return old head, only thing there is you have to pull your cam shafts and all the studs as its just the head and new valves.

Either way you can easily do an AWM for less than $1k

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts