Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Anyone on the boards in Taiwan?

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sirt8669 
#1 · (Edited)
I am visiting Taipei and have been here since June 17th and return to the states July 23. Hope I get to see some more Passats before I leave. I have seen many but have not met them, just get to see the sweet rides on the streets and surprised at how many German cars there is here that are modded really well. Some pics of what I have seen, some better than others of course. I have missed many pic opportunties too. Pics of German cars I have seen, not all are Passats, sorry. I will add more pics later, I am going out now. I will also continue to take them.

See less See more
#2 ·
My wife and I was just there for a few weeks visiting the in-laws.

Yes, not many VWs at all. It is also against the law to mod the engine, exhaust or anything to change the way the car rides/drives there. Even though, we say it is illegal here too, but over there they actively enforce it.

Enjoy your time there and watch out for the Chicken Feet. I still don't know if I should like it or not. Now, the drinks with the 'bubbles' is Great! (not soda, the tea and milks with those chewy balls)

#3 ·
Just got back from the Shilin market and the food was great. I will gladly pass on chicken feet lol I tried duck tongue today and that was not good too. The stinky tofu is interesting to say the least. The bubble milk tea is great, I have that nearly every day, probably will get fat on that. We have that where I live in Florida though just not as good.

Not sure what you mean by it is against the law here to mod the car but my girls friend is a police officer and he has a modded car and said nothing about it being against the law but I will ask him and see. I see modded cars here all day long, even taxi's. I also see a ton of VWs. What part of Taiwan were you in? I am in Taipei.

#4 ·
Taichung City,

it is about 2 hours south (or 1 hour on the train). My wife's parents live 5 blocks away from National Taichung Educational University.

The information I got about the modding was from Hao-Yi's father (through translation issues) that there was about 8 to 10 years ago TONS of shops that modded cars. Then the government pass a law saying it was illegal period and many shops had to close shop.

Taichung City

I don't know if you have time or someone with you that can take you, but please see their Temples. The history is amazing!!!

O, if you go, you walk in through the right in and left is out. NEVER through the center door. My wife forgot to tell me this... The center door is for 'Gods' only. (opps)

If you guys want, I can post a video i took in Taiwan from one of the oldest temples in that area. We got really lucky and they performed a very old and rare ceremony. Hao-yi's parents told me they have been going to that temple for years and that was their only 2nd time seeing it.

#5 ·
There is a few shops that I have seen that modify the cars and sell the aftermarket parts such as Autobacs. It was really big to mod cars back in the early 2000s but that has appeared to have gone down but not so sure about that law still. My girl believes that its not a law so I am not sure.

I am going to Taichung City this next weekend I think. I will put up pics. I have video from my trip so far and its mostly just the night markets, like Shilin. I have a ton of pics but have mostly just been putting them on my facebook.

Anthony St Pierre | Facebook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.