Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, cant get the CEL to stop blinking. AEB with 95K miles. Was fine on the way home from work yesterday, stopped off at Target. When I started the car up to finally go home, it idled roughly (had been doing that last couple days at times) then by the time I got onto the street it felt like the engine had lost a few cylinders....took a lot of gas to get going up through the gears, lots of "Bucking" the whole time. Finally made it the 2 miles to home. (being hilly didn't make it easy!) Opened the hood fearing the worst, and spotted 2 Vacuum lines busted, the ones each end of the Intake Manifold. One was short (6") the other about 3'. I went to Pep-Boys and got a Silcone kit and replace both. It seems a tiny bit better, less bucking, but still gutless. I've checked any grounds I can find, checked fuses. Looked at connectors. I still need to pull plugs and give them a look. I'm going nuts. Any more ideas are most welcome. Hoping someone near has a VAG so it may lend a clue. I only know Ernie has one, but he's 50 miles away!

Just got the money so I can get the Belt changed finally, (not sure if I want to tackle it...needed time is a problem, or let VW specialties in HD do it) but have to get it running!

Problems in South County..again!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, pulled the plugs...they do tell a story of sorts.

#1 & #3 were fine looking.

#2 looked a little bit wet. Definate sheen and wetness to it....

#4 looked a bit sooty.

All 4 came out way easier then I'm used too...was the first time I've used anti seize paste, that may be why.

What to make of the plugs...hmmm....since the problem started I've started it a number of times (once to get up the ramps, another to get down, another for a short down the street test drive after I'd replaced the broken vacuum lines..) so its not like they ever got a real clean warm run on them. #2 has me concerned about the coil-pack...did 99's ever have problems with these? #4 I don't know, being dry is good, maybe just not cleaned enough from the drive home yesterday with the busted lines.

Any thoughts?

Anyway to test a coil pack?

If it is bad, what are my options at 95K? (covered by the 100K?)

Man o Man....aint having fun for sure....

btw..I did just put new plugs in 15 mins ago....no help. LOL!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I am having this too. Go figure, I too have an AEB at 95,000 (OK I lied.. 94,608). It is bucking and throwing a CEL. Once I start the car, the idle is fine; steady and a little below 1000. Then once I get going and come to a stop (clutch in, brake in) the car starts to dip as low as 200!!!!! Shimmying and shaking.

I havent checked the plugs. I should look for hoses. I got 10 feet of SVHs in the mail from HoseTechniques.com

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Have you replaced the ICM? When? If not, it is very likely it is the ICM. You don't need a VagCom to find out.

Do a search on ICM and / or look up Kenny Payne's dilemna with his ICM. This should get you started.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's an ICM?

Just got back from a late Valentines dinner with the wife (had to take the Odyssey!)

Will search it out...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer CRD99....Tomorrow after work I'm going to test the ICM, verify if its bad. If it is ok, I'll PM you. Thank you for your offer and everyones help as usual. (thats quite a commute..SLC to SC? :D )

Already have a CART with a ICM in it bookmarked!

Question, do I need to disconnect the Battery when I replace it? Wont that fubar my Radio?

As for the heat issues with it, has anyone thought about placing something like a PC Memory Heat Sink on it? I got something laying around, think I'll look into it.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Your radio code should be affixed to the spare tire well in your trunk via a sticker.

JET, when are you planning on doing this? I have a 2nd remote that unlocks doors but can't crank engine (transponder needs VAG-COM programming). Perhaps we could meet up and kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

I'm in OC 6 days a week.

Please let me know.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
JETninja said:
Thanks for the offer CRD99....Tomorrow after work I'm going to test the ICM, verify if its bad. If it is ok, I'll PM you. Thank you for your offer and everyones help as usual. (thats quite a commute..SLC to SC? :D )

Already have a CART with a ICM in it bookmarked!

Question, do I need to disconnect the Battery when I replace it? Wont that fubar my Radio?

As for the heat issues with it, has anyone thought about placing something like a PC Memory Heat Sink on it? I got something laying around, think I'll look into it.
It has a heat sink and that is why it is mounted facing towards the cooler air stream in the air intake box. Heat is the biggest factor why this FET fail.

BTW, you don't need to disconnect the battery as long as the keys aren't in the ignition, etc.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info on the battery, thats how I saw it...but read of many disconnecting it and wondered why.

I know it has a Heatsink in the airbox, I was thinking on the top side of it if there is clearence. Need to look at it, don't remember it well in my mind.

Steve, I'll let you know, though you may want to contact CRD99 yourself...I'll know more tonight when I can actually look at it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, that was it! Cylinder #2 Fet is dead. Just ordered a new one from SSD.com. $99+ tax. Cool! Thanks all!!!!

Will get back once I have it installed and see how she runs then.

Hope that UPS truck hauls!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL! I wish! 4 boys and in this town....nuttin left over! :D

Actually, I wish the peeps that wrote the software would get off their butt and write it for PocketPC's. My IPAQ has a lot more power, color, and can play MP3s and a thousand other things.

And while at times I feel much love from this car, others times I don't. Big decision soon, lease will be up. Either have to buy it or trade in at big loss. Wanted to keep for oldest son, but with my cat, control arms, and other problems....

And the '04 1.8T 4-Mo 5m looks sweet...but VW fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
JETninja said:
LOL! I wish! 4 boys and in this town....nuttin left over! :D

Actually, I wish the peeps that wrote the software would get off their butt and write it for PocketPC's. My IPAQ has a lot more power, color, and can play MP3s and a thousand other things.

And while at times I feel much love from this car, others times I don't. Big decision soon, lease will be up. Either have to buy it or trade in at big loss. Wanted to keep for oldest son, but with my cat, control arms, and other problems....

And the '04 1.8T 4-Mo 5m looks sweet...but VW fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....
HAve you see this?

http://shadetreesoftware.com/prodinformation.html

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I have, its still Palm based only. A PocketPC runs a version of Window's. (called CE or PocketPC 2000/2002 etc..) I have versions of Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, and dozens more. All Ipaq's, Toshiba's, Dell's and more run it. Palms, Sonys, and some others are quite a bit less powerful, though they have excellent battery life.

If anyone makes a Vag ported to windows, thats what I need. Same for Laptops, though it may need some coding to work with a PPC.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
A friend in borrowing my VAGCOM this week but I may be able to meet up next week. I'm usually in San Clemente for three days of the week so if you guys need some quick help just let me know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts