Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make something to hold loose articles in trunk for passats? Some sort of plastic bin or something, or perhaps some sort of cargo net? I test drove a Jetta the other day, and I noticed the new ones have a small cargo net along that little recess in the trunk floor behind the passenger side tail light. Does anyone make something like that that I could install in my car? That little recess would be nice to use, but I can't fit much in it as is. I'd like to be able to carry a spare quart of oil or gallon of coolant, possible some hose clamps, spare serpentine belt, stuff like that and keep it from rolling around in the trunk.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use a rubbermaid container that I picked up at Wal-Mart. The low profile storage bin ones that are less than 5 bucks. Its low enough to fit under a cargo mat if I get one.

Some people here use the Mercedes M class cargo net in their trunks. I'm not sure which series of M's will fit us as I read a couple days ago that some are too big. If someone posts which one I'll get one this week as I need it also.

HTH

·
Registered
325 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I keep a spare quart of oil in that little recess on the right hand side of the trunk.
You don't really need anything to hold it in there. Just don't do any roll-overs! :wink:

Other things that I keep in my trunk securely:
- emergency triangle - bolts into trunk lid
- first aid kit - above CD changer
- 12v air pump - in the little recess next to my x-tra quart of oil
- lug wrench - tucked inbetween rear seatback and trunk floor

I recently got a MB cargo net from the classifieds, but I haven't really had the opportunity to use it -- it hooks into the back of the trunk (near the rear bumper) and holds stuff in an upright envelope shaped net. This is the same kind of cargo net we got from Dodge when we bought our Grand Caravan (I don't put much in that one either, but it keeps stuff from falling out of the back when the minivan is up our steep driveway).

I also recently got a VW trunk liner from the classifieds, and plan to get the Cargo-Logic Cargo-Loks to go with it. They are like corner braces that velcro to the carpet liner carpet.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i put my first aid kit above the changer too, but it was causing a rattle, so i just threw it into the body of the trunk.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use the VW trunk liner and Gorilla Grips. Expensive but very much worth it.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Get a small plastic battery box at one of the discount auto parts chains. Stick on velcro tape (hook side) to th bottom & one side. This will hold to the carpet material when put up against the side of the trunk.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have two rubbermaid plastic trash can (office type). Then I use a elastic band hook around the two bins from hook near the rear-seat to the hook near the tail light. Have been doing this since I got my car new.

No noise whatsoever under any types of turns or bumps.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
mackman said:
Does anyone make something to hold loose articles in trunk for passats? Some sort of plastic bin or something, or perhaps some sort of cargo net? I test drove a Jetta the other day, and I noticed the new ones have a small cargo net along that little recess in the trunk floor behind the passenger side tail light. Does anyone make something like that that I could install in my car? That little recess would be nice to use, but I can't fit much in it as is. I'd like to be able to carry a spare quart of oil or gallon of coolant, possible some hose clamps, spare serpentine belt, stuff like that and keep it from rolling around in the trunk.
Our Jetta has that net, and we have not found it to be too useful. I bought the Audi A4 Cargo net and that is great!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got a 6-pack of bungie cords at Walmart. I have a few of those between the cargo ties on the right side and between the two cargo ties in the rear. As long as the items aren't too small I find that most things stay put pretty well.

I also keep a blanket in my trunk. I can unfold it a little and put it over a couple small things. That works pretty well, too, since the blanket doesn't slide on the carpet.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
At Bed, Bath, and Beyond, they have trunk organizers that have velcro at the bottom. I put all kinds of crap in mine and it stays put. Plus, you can use that 20% off coupon they send in the mail every other day. If you don't have one, PM me your address and I'll mail you a coupon. I have tons of them.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
Altair 4
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing