Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A passat owner called into the Car Guys radio program this morning ... I can't remember her vehicle year. She explained how they have, on occasion, had an inch of water on their passenger side carpet anytime it rains. Apparently, their permanent strategy had been to put a tarp over the car anytime it was about to rain. :lol:

The brothers immediately zeroed in on "water in the cowl ... and overflow into the passenger compartment". She explained how during a recent storm, the wind blew the tarp off the car and it got flooded again. Then she was like, so there is another issue ... my husband popped the hood for something else and the battery area was full of water. :icon_eek: The brothers were like "that is not another issue."

I'm thinking to myself the whole time, "pollen filter" and "CCM". I was wondering how many other passat owners were listening, and shaking their heads. Something tells me they are going to have problems for a long time. Can you say "mold"?

I thought you guys would appreciate the recap. I tried to remember the segment accurately ... I'm sure they will post it over on the NPR car guys site.

:driving:

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,607 Posts
what is it, like an AM talk radio thing? I've heard my dad listen to it before.....

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,607 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sigh

It is just sad that so many people have spent $25-30K on these cars and have ended up getting the kiddie pool/bathtub option.

I've had at least 3 of the water problems commonly mentioned (sunroof drain clog; battery area filled with water; minor leak from driver's side rear door) in my '02 GLS 1.8T.

k3s

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm not a fan of NPR either but I still know there line up. These guys have around 20+ years now, I think. Both brothers have masters from Harvard and decided to open a garage together. They have multiple books, PBS specials and a cartoon.
Hey, don't credit Harvard for this. These are MIT guys: they actually spoke at a commencement a few years ago.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,915 Posts
It is just sad that so many people have spent $25-30K on these cars and have ended up getting the kiddie pool/bathtub option.

I've had at least 3 of the water problems commonly mentioned (sunroof drain clog; battery area filled with water; minor leak from driver's side rear door) in my '02 GLS 1.8T.

k3s
This isn't just on the Passat that this was/is a problem, my Subaru Forster had the same issue, but ten times worse. I never was able to figure out the cause either. :banghead:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
Back in the early '80s I used to work a few blocks from their garage in Cambridge MA. They were just as funny in person and did not enjoy drilling out some frozen manifold bolts on my Scirocco. But they sure made it sound like fun.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Any car, when parked outside and not regularly cleaned, is going to have drain hole issues. It just happens that the Passat has worse consequences than most.

Everyone has design flaws...heck, the B6 doesn't even have a proper rain channel in the roof. Open the door during a heavy rain and it will go right off the roof into the cabin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts