Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So late last year I dropped a new used engine in my Passat after the original went.
I couldn't get it started in time before I had to leave to go overseas.
During this time lapse I lost track of where they go as I want to start working on this project again finally.

There are some plugs that are not connected and I would imagine these could be the culprit.

Does anyone know where these go? I'm looking for some kind of diagram online but no luck yet.
Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
In the picture showing #1, #2 and #3, the other end of the connectors are not visible.
Connectors 1, 2 and 3 are all connections that send power to the various components on the core support. (ie, electric fan, hood latch switch)

Connector 4 is the connector for the hood release safety switch.

I can snap a picture of the other connectors when there's daylight.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
You say the current engine is an ATQ, was the original an ATQ ?
What are the wire colours to each plug ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In the picture showing #1, #2 and #3, the other end of the connectors are not visible.
Connectors 1, 2 and 3 are all connections that send power to the various components on the core support. (ie, electric fan, hood latch switch)

Connector 4 is the connector for the hood release safety switch.

I can snap a picture of the other connectors when there's daylight.
That would be great if you could! I should have taken more pictures when I pulled it apart. Lessons learned!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Scratch what I said in my earlier post. Now I'm even more confused.
Something isn't right here, you're missing some connectors.

You are also missing the plastic piece that keeps everything tidy.
You don't have to have it for things to function, but you'll need to secure the wiring to the metal bracket that surrounds the aluminum vacuum solenoid right next to the power steering reservoir to prevent the wires leading to the carrier from getting caught up in the belt driven fan.

In my picture, the connectors are as follows...

Top connectors (I think has 8 wires): supplies varies things on the carrier support. (hood release safety switch, coolant temp sensor in lower radiator hose and few others)

Middle connectors (2 wires): Supplies power to the electric fan.

Bottom connectors (green single wire): a/c clutch supply

This is from a 2003 V6 ATQ sedan.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I'll go take another look on my car and identify the other connectors in the area.
I should really know this because of the number of Passat's I've pulled the front end off. My memory is slowly fading. Haven't really done anything for 3 years now, tend to forget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll go take another look on my car and identify the other connectors in the area.
I should really know this because of the number of Passat's I've pulled the front end off. My memory is slowly fading. Haven't really done anything for 3 years now, tend to forget.
Thanks this really does help a lot. Looks like I am missing quite a bit and i'll have to go look in the pile of parts to see if i missed anything. If you find out anything else please let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Alrighty, lets see if I can explain this so we can all follow along.
Using my pictures as reference, only because mine are fully functional and bone stock (no modifications).

The way it seems to me...
Your #1 connector should be hooked up to the headlight assembly.
Using my 2nd picture as reference.

The connector that is currently hooked up to your headlight assembly should go to your #2 connector.
That would represent the top set of connectors in my picture directly below.

Your connector #3 is the supply for the electric radiator fan.
The other half of the connection is missing in your picture.
The other half of connection #3 should coming from the same area as the connector that currently hooked up to your headlight.

Does all this make sense?

Carrier core support connections and a/c connection.

Headlight connection.

Reactions: Tomvw

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Here's a map of the connections.
Visual is better.

Reactions: cchief22
1 - 13 of 13 Posts