Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is killing me! I cannot figure out for the life of me, which wire at the back of the instrument cluster is the VSS!!
Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by VSS. But if you want to hook up the speed signal (GAL) for your navi it's in the ISO din plug. Pin nr 1 I think...

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just installed the Navi in my car and I had to tap the VSS wire. It is the white/blue wire that leads to pin #3. Its in the connector at the back of the tachometer. The connector is blue with a pink lock device on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4MyPassat said:
I just installed the Navi in my car and I had to tap the VSS wire. It is the white/blue wire that leads to pin #3. Its in the connector at the back of the tachometer. The connector is blue with a pink lock device on it.
....did it work? We tapped that wire too and it didn't seem to work.
According to VW it's the Brown w/ Red stripe Pin 28 at the blue connector but that's contrary to what other people have said.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, it works. But if you are using the plug and play adaptor from Airwalk, you probably have to change some wires around if it isn't working. I bought my plug and play adaptor from him and I had to modify it. Basically, here is what you need to have.

The vehicle speed sense wire that is going to the radio needs to connect to pin#5 of the 26pin plug AND it needs to connect to pin#1 of the black connector that goes to the bottom right of the mfd. Then you need to make one wire go from pin#4 of the 26pin plug to pin#4 of the same black connector that I previously mentioned. Once I made these modifications, it works perfectly.

I got help from GTiTurbo. I definitely owe him one. He has a lot of knowledge about these Nav installs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4MyPassat said:
Yeah, it works. But if you are using the plug and play adaptor from Airwalk, you probably have to change some wires around if it isn't working. I bought my plug and play adaptor from him and I had to modify it. Basically, here is what you need to have.

The vehicle speed sense wire that is going to the radio needs to connect to pin#5 of the 26pin plug AND it needs to connect to pin#1 of the black connector that goes to the bottom right of the mfd. Then you need to make one wire go from pin#4 of the 26pin plug to pin#4 of the same black connector that I previously mentioned. Once I made these modifications, it works perfectly.

I got help from GTiTurbo. I definitely owe him one. He has a lot of knowledge about these Nav installs.

Ahhh my bad, I should have mentioned, I'm not using the MFD, I'm using a Pioneer nav unit.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh, well in that case, I don't think I can help you much more than to tell you that the white/blue wire IS the vehicle speed sense and if you tape that wire, it does work correctly if everything else is hooked up. I've been using my MFD and is awesome. The GALA function even works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
4MyPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing