Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all really...

Has anyone done a mod like this on a W8 ?

If so what did you do and which products did you use (K&N etc) ?

Was it worth it...any change in performance or noise from the engine etc ?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obviously NONE of you W8 owners have done anything like this then... :???:

Any other engine / performance mods done apart from the chips which we've recently heard about ?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I took the K&N out of my 01 GLX before I traded it in and installed it in my W8. Last week while waiting for my ecu to come back from Wetterauer, I cleaned it and also removed the pre-screen in the air box to clean it but never re-installed it. Thought I'd see if there was any difference - none noticed other than a little more induction noise, which sounds ok anyway..

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
During my 40K Checkup I switched to an AFE Replacement Panel Filter. I wanted to try something different because I've used K&N, Amsoil/ITG Foam filters in my last two Passats. The like the design of the AFE and BMC panel filters over K&N's because there's more surface area and a better seal. What's funny is that I don't oil and re-use panel filters, so I normally give my K&N's away after 3 races. Since the AFE filter has a lifetime warranty, I may try to clean/recharge it after 20K.

:thumbup:

I did notice a little intake noise, and I agree with Ronny that the sound is tight.

If you are looking for AFE filters, Advanced Motorsports is having a sale right now. $49.00 shipped.

http://www.advancedmotorsport.com

This picture compares the AFE filter with the stock VW filter!

The AFE part number for our Passats is: 30-10044

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...just what I was looking for...

Just checked out the Advanced Motorsports website and it seems they don't ship outside of the USA & Canada so I'll try contacting them direct to see if I can arrange something with them, or alternatively try getting the AFE filter elsewhere...

I assume there are no special difficulties in installing the filter (I haven't even opened the air box on my W8 yet to see what it's all like !).

Got the 30k service coming up in a few weeks - will probably make the change after they've done this...and around the time I finally get chipped by Upsolute (first W8 they've done in the UK apparently).

Thanks again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
w8cmp
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing