Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speed World Challenge is making a visit. :)

With two very well-formed classes, this is possibly the future of all road racing right here. With great sponsorship, and many factory teams campaigning, its surely a big step for road racing in the US. USTCC has become a complete flop, due to its less-than-desirable class structure and ruleset. One thing though, is that most privateer teams have vanished, because its becoming harder and harder to compete w/ the factory backed teams. I know that David Farmer sold his C5 Vette, and Roger Foo sold his Protege. :cry:

Although they were two great drivers that I highly respected, I still think this series is a push for the better. With such a wide variety of cars and factory teams, its really becoming quite an interesting field. The GT class has entrants with RS6s, Mustangs, GTOs, Vettes, New Cadillac CTS-V, Vipers, 911 GT3s, M3s, S60Rs, to name a few. The touring car class has 325i's, Sentra SE-Rs, Cavaliers, Proteges, Imprezas, Integra Type Rs, RSXs, TSXs, Civic Si's, and there's even one team campaigning a GTI. :shock: Hopefully, this will be the year for all production car-based racing all across the US, with this heavily supported series in the limelight.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SCCA has always been biased against forced induction since the 80s, when it was hard to find a blown team that was not cheating. I think the Evolution and the WRX were recently let into the touring classes...the first FI cars since they were banned way back when.

Me two cents: if you're going to limit boost, why not install a boost gauge with a memory function, and pull all the gauges after all qualifying/races?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
You don't need to limit boost you just need to limit horsepower and they already do that with restrictor plates on the big block cars.. there's no reason they can't carry that over to turbocharged engines. *shrug* there's too many turbocharged production cars right now for them to keep that limitation unless they want the touring class to be the BMW/Acura show forever. It'd make the GT class more interesting too

FWIW the WRX was not let into the touring class. The Impreza running is a 2.5 RS :/

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought they let the STi and the EVO VIII play w/ the Z06 (and NSXs, 996s, and F355s) and the in T-1 for 2004...just so they can get a feel of how much they need to cheat to win. :p

In the 80s, those kids in the 300ZXs were notorious for manual boost controllers disguised as volume control knobs for the radio. So you can limit horsepower before and after the race, but not during.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I heard they were going to let the team with the Impreza RS run a WRX *not for points* just to get a feel for how the car would fare. Didn't hear anything about the STI/EVO. With restrictor plates the teams would be open to run as much boost as they desired. You're not getting more than a given volume of air (and thus horsepower) through there, so they can only get more power by optimizing efficiency, same way the NA guys have to do it. In case this is the cause for confusion, the restrictors go on the compressor *inlet* . Same way they control horsepower on turbocharged WRC and ALMS cars. The WRX and EVO (when allowed racing modifications are taken into account, the EVO compares to the WRX not the STI) would make perfect Touring class cars if it wasn't for the NA only rule. The 2.5RS is really only there to get some experience for the team, they will not be competitive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts