Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Mozilla Firefox on my computer at work this morning, and all I can say is WOW! Pages load much faster. :bow: I tried Opera once a long time ago and I didn't like it. I haven't tried Netscape in years, but I remember not liking it either.

One thing that doesn't work on Mozilla is the Windows Update page (surprise surprise). Are there any disadvantages using these alternative browsers as opposed to IE? I'm currently running it on a Windows 2000 platform. Will it work okay with XP?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
hey the first 3.. er, 4 posters in this thread have usernames that start with "ho" what are the chances? Bunch of hos we are...

i myself prefer the term "post ho"... but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Firefox on my windows pc's and safari on my powerbook :thumbup: I only revert back to IE on the crappy pages that don't load correctly on any other browser than IE.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
One diehard Opera Fan here.

I love it, I talked to my Mac friend, when Safari first came out, he was like, hohoho, it has Google Search built in.

I was like, yes welcome to last year, when opera added it.

-Nick

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I am using Safari (OSX), and i love it, faster than most internet browsers but i must admit it doesn't work well with clubb5 because the window does not allow me to scroll side to side on those really big pictures.

merk20vt

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Here's something you might be interested in, I know I was. This is the browser statistics for my webserver for February:

I was surprised at how many people actualy use IE compared to everything else. When MS says dominant, they mean it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
careful, with some browsers (like mozilla) it can REPORT back as ie. which is necessary sometimes to keep things going.

its easy to spoof. just don't trust it too much. ie gets a lot of false votes. otoh, no one RUNS ie and reports back as non-ie ;)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I use Firefox for 95% of my Web access at work and at home. The tabbed browsing is a great feature!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use Mozilla except when doing my DAMN XP updates......

Are Mozilla and netscape the same ...or at least close cousins??

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
linux-works said:
careful, with some browsers (like mozilla) it can REPORT back as ie. which is necessary sometimes to keep things going.

its easy to spoof. just don't trust it too much. ie gets a lot of false votes. otoh, no one RUNS ie and reports back as non-ie ;)
When I use Opera (which I forgot to mention) I do this, I have it set up to report as IE.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
BooRadley said:
linux-works said:

When I use Opera (which I forgot to mention) I do this, I have it set up to report as IE.
how do you set it up to do that?

-nick

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
BooRadley said:
linux-works said:

-nick
^^And that's why I'm not worried about false positives. Question: What percentage of 'net users set their browsers to spoof? Answer: An infinitesimally small fraction of a percent. I just love the way you come back with random data as 'proof' Linux. :roll:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Firefox over here. Gotta love the tabbed browsers and no pop ups.

·
Registered
411 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
BooRadley said:
linux-works said:

Easy on Mozilla, not sure about Opera. Google for "Mozilla Prefbar". It lets you set up any of a long list of user preferences on a toolbar. Great for going from a proxy server environment (work) to non-proxy (home), killing obnoxious Flash ads, temporarily enabling popups, enable/disable Java or Javascript, modifying the referrer, and of course changing your apparent browser. With this latter, I can pretend to run Netscape or IE, shift-reload the page, and things that didn't work suddenly do!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
26 Participants
flipsauce
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing