Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Looks like it doesn't come with the U shaped chrome around it .. does it mean it will need painted? I'd like to see a better pix of it. The chrome slat strips also look a little thick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HMMMM, the chrome ones don't seem to be doing so well. And I'm not so sure the all black one would look as good on an 2002 Black W8 with all the chrome accents it's already got around the headlights.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got one, unfortunately. The day after I installed it, the rain washed away the black paint in many areas. The clips were very loose also (two broke off by touching them). IMO don't get it unless you want to strip the black paint off and have the whole thing chrome.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I believe it is

dapsteez said:
I'm pretty sure it's the same one that's in the group buy section.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to chance this one, or spend a little extra and get one that others really like. My car is black, and I haven't done enough "searching" on which other badgeless grills have to be painted to match. I really like the Kamei one's, but those are more costly.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Here's another person selling grills and exterior chrome trim on eBay you should avoid:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=2462092202
Here's another one of his fishy listings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=2461997139

If you look at the before and after photos, the before image shows a B5 and the after shows a B5.5 (with the chrome strips photoshopped out so it will look a little more like the B5). The seller claims that it fits all Passat models before 2004, even if it's a B5 or not, and on both sedans and wagons. I sent him an e-mail about his claims (and explained the differences between the pre and post 2001 models) and his deceptive photos and he merely replied by saying "I know these are different cars, these parts will fit all Passat, Golf, Jetta and Cabrio models older than 2004..."

The seller has done the same thing for his A4 grill trim listings, where he shows a the before as an older A4 and the after as a new model A4.

Don't know why someone would want to buy to buy chrome side trim or grill if you have a B5.5, unless you damage your OEM ones and want a replacement. Also, these are stick-on trim so the fit and look wouldn't be good (I couldn't imagine a stick on grill).

Another fishy thing too is that the seller immediately removes the eBay listing as soon as the auction has ended, he keeps the the identity of his bidders private, and his location shows as Canada on some listings and Chicago on others. :???:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I wouldn't consider that one. It seems like there are a bunch of options out there, so I need to do some looking around and find a good looking badgeless grill for a black B5.5 that's not outrageous expensive.

If anyone has any suggestions of a good place to look, shoot me a PM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts