Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the high-strength engine internals at the ECS website :bow: :bow: :bow: ( http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...el=FWD&category=Engine&subcategory=Mechanical), and i had a few questions. Firstly, does anyone have any expierence with this product, if you do could you talk about it. Secondly does anyone kno how much money it would cost to get these parts installed, thridly is it worth the money, thanks for your time

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
There are three know 1.8T failures due to engine mechanical issues. One was BillyT's old Golf (500HP) which threw a rod, another was a single car on this board running stock boost which threw a rod, and the third was bel's Passat, again, high hp, with a lean condition that melted a piston.

Two rods thrown and one melted piston of how many that are out there running how much hp over the stock setting? I don't see the value unless you are Dahlback.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
They're basically doubling the price for the set of JE pistons. F*ckin' thieves... :thumbdow:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
3 known failures? Sure, when there were 3 people running big turbos... There have been a few blown PES kits openly reported on Audiworld, and since the ATP kit has brought big power to the bolt-on masses, there have been quite a few failures from that. There was even an APR StgIII bent rod years ago when the kit was new. Check out the vwvortex 1.8T tech forums, or audiworld. Of course you have to look hard to find them, as few people happily boast about their blown motors. I think the limits of the motor are well defined, and these days have become very easy to explore. As far as ClubB5 blown motors, you forgot HvyDrnkr23 as another PES victim.

The prices on those parts is highway robbery, though.

As far as prices to have them installed - you realize you're talking about a complete rebuild with the motor out of the car or at least heavily disassembled, right? A lot of money, and built motors with forged internals tend to have little issues. Picking an engine builder is also something that should be handled with the same care as picking a doctor.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Ok, more failures. Still not a huge number.

I am very confident that it still holds that the motor is pretty strong as shipped. If it was total crap, there would be very few modified cars running around, even at low power-increase levels.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yep, I'm sure it's strong too, and it's got proper specs for a turbocharged engine. It does have limits though, limits that more people are starting to explore, so I think there's a market for these parts. I don't know why they're so expensive - four JE pistons for a subaru lump costs half what ECS is asking.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Wapptor said:
Define driving like an asshole? How much strain DOES revving to 6k on occasion put on the engine?

-Wapptor
Driving like an asshole=a quart low on dino oil that is 1900 miles overdue for a change at 8300 rpm on a chipped 1.8t car with no rev limiter on a 110 degree day with the AC on and the windows down and a VWVORTEX sticker in the back window.

And, it's jackass, not asshole.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
If you go directly to JE, they're about what Mac said.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1379894&postid=13581312#13581312

ECS Tuning-Tom said:
The 9.2:1 & 9.5:1 compression pistons are custom built & we have them in stock. These dublicate the stock compression on AWD, AWW & AWP engine codes, which a lot of customers want to stay with. I don't think anyone in the USA actually stocks 9.2:1 & 9.5:1 compression aftermarket pistons. Having them in stock is very important to customers that need them fast & can't wait for a piston manufacture to custom build them.
:roll:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sharky said:
Wapptor said:
Define driving like an asshole? How much strain DOES revving to 6k on occasion put on the engine?

-Wapptor
Driving like an asshole=a quart low on dino oil that is 1900 miles overdue for a change at 8300 rpm on a chipped 1.8t car with no rev limiter on a 110 degree day with the AC on and the windows down and a VWVORTEX sticker in the back window.

And, it's jackass, not asshole.
Thankyou, thankyou...it was beautiful.

-Wapptor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.