Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Montreal where we tend to get at least a couple weeks in the -20 to -30 degrees Celsius range (-4 to -20 Fahrenheit) throughout the winter and was thinking of picking up a Frostheater for my 2002 GLX V6 to reduce wear and difficulty cranking on cold starts. I've seen them come highly recommended, my only concern is that the site (http://frostheater.com/) only mentions the 1.8 L engine which obviously has quite a bit more clearance for the installation in the engine bay.

I emailed the company and they told me dealers have installed them on the V6, but they're unsure if they had to modify the kit before doing so. Anyone ever take this on themselves?

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Switch to a full synthetic oil. Makes a world of difference. I used to live in WI and the difference is night and day between conventional and full synthetic.
Conventional oil will pour like pudding at 0°F (-17°C) - it doesn't.
Full synthetic will pour like a thicker olive oil at same temp. It will actually circulate through your engine immediately upon start-up.

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
It should not be difficult to adapt to a V6 if they use the heater hose as the connection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Switch to a full synthetic oil. Makes a world of difference. I used to live in WI and the difference is night and day between conventional and full synthetic.
Conventional oil will pour like pudding at 0°F (-17°C) - it doesn't.
Full synthetic will pour like a thicker olive oil at same temp. It will actually circulate through your engine immediately upon start-up.
Luckily the car has been treated with full synthetic since the first owner (I'm the third; second was a VW mechanic) so I'm already better off in that regard. The other morning I started the car around 0°F and the only difference was it cranked for a good 3 seconds before starting (compared to maybe a second during normal temps). I just don't want to risk ever getting stranded at home when I need to get to school or work lol

It should not be difficult to adapt to a V6 if they use the heater hose as the connection.
Any idea what those adaptations would entail? They do use the heater hose, as I understand it. I'm just in the dark on what might be in store for me outside the instructions in the manual

·
Registered
28,620 Posts
The only question would be the size of the outlet hoses they use and location of the heatpump. If they use the same size hoses as the heater hose, it's simply a cut and splice into the heater hose. If they use an adapator to fit the hose, you would need to use it too. I really doubt there is a different heater hose size between the TDI, V6 or 1.8T, so it should fit without a problem. If it's made to mount in the battery cowl area, it will simply bolt in without any changes. If it's made to mount towards the engine on the heater core outlet hose, it will need to me changed to the battery cowl area instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts