Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our intercom music at work seems to be provided by Dish Network. So all morning long there has been a message from the Dish Network president stating that Viacom has made unreasonable demands on pricing and now their contract with Viacom has run out. So, now if you have Dish Network you will have to pay a fee for; Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Etc. I just want to see if any B5er's have Dish Network and if it has taken effect yet. I checked their site and found no info on their home page.

Thanks
Craigtheman :b5:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
slashdot had a good write-up on this.

apparently viacom is trying to extort dish into carrying channels IT doesn't want to (dish is the GOOD GUY here, it seems).

so viacom says 'you will take ALL our crap - ALL of it - or NONE of it'.

blackmail.

and we all have to watch them play with their dirty laundry in public.

sigh.

viacom is the bad guy here. they should be slapped with BIG fines for acting the way they do.

otoh, the entire entertainment industry (audio, video, etc) is way out of hand. so we have come to EXPECT extreme greed in this sector (sigh)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Linux - regardless of this "all or nothing" contract, if it is $0.06 per subscriber for all the channels what is the problem? Dish raises rates all the time.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
gig103 said:
Linux - regardless of this "all or nothing" contract, if it is $0.06 per subscriber for all the channels what is the problem? Dish raises rates all the time.
yes, and so does direct-tv (which I have).

I object to all of them, really; but the main supplier (viacom, in this case) KNOWS they have lame channels and its not fair to bundle them and force buyers to HAVE to subsidize substandard programming.

M$ got his with bundling. I want to see the entertainment companies get hit also.

"I'm sorry sir, you can't buy this passat unless you also buy that lupo that we have sitting on our lot. its a package deal..."

yeah right..

·
Registered
803 Posts
linux-works said:
slashdot had a good write-up on this.

apparently viacom is trying to extort dish into carrying channels IT doesn't want to (dish is the GOOD GUY here, it seems).

so viacom says 'you will take ALL our crap - ALL of it - or NONE of it'.

blackmail.

and we all have to watch them play with their dirty laundry in public.

sigh.

viacom is the bad guy here. they should be slapped with BIG fines for acting the way they do.

otoh, the entire entertainment industry (audio, video, etc) is way out of hand. so we have come to EXPECT extreme greed in this sector (sigh)
That's exactly what our local CBS station (KOIN) has done with Comcast cable. I signed up for Comcast in January in hopes they would get it straightened out by superbowl so I could watch it in HDTV, but they didn't. Fortunately KOIN has free HD signals with an antenna that work great.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I saw a crawler come up on Sunday night while watching Insomniac, but it was immediately blocked off with a black strip.
This from dishnetwork.com:
Who is actually deciding to make the channels go dark?
Viacom will be making the channels go dark by not granting DISH Network permission to broadcast their channels.

Why did Directv settle their contract and DISH Network cannot come to an agreement?
DISH Network is not willing to pass on excessive cost to our customers as other providers are willing to do to pay for fees like Viacom is proposing.

Does this have anything to do with the insistence by Viacom that DISH Network retransmit the NickToons channel?
In addition to excessive rate increases by Viacom, they are insisting we carry channels that carry very little added value to our package line ups.

When is the go dark date set to take effect?
The time is 3:00am ET on Tuesday, March 9, 2004.

Will our bill be reduced if the channels go dark?
Customers with a removed CBS station will receive a monthly $1 credit until the station is returned. Also, customers with America’s Top 60, 120, 180, America’s Everything Pak. DISH Latino Dos or DISH Latino Max will also receive a $1 monthly credit for the removed MTV Networks.

Will I be allowed out of my programming commitment if these channels go dark?
All programming commitments will remain in effect at this time. DISH Network will monitor the duration of the loss of channels for further decisions made for this.
I want my MTV! :roll:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
They've been running a crawl on all of their channels. I have Directv and see the crawl and pat myself on the back for going Directv instead of Dish.
actually, direct-tv isn't any better, really. they DID cave in (as I understand it) and DID agree to pay the extortion fee to carry the good, the bad and the ugly channels.

so us DTV users are helping subsidize substandard programming.

ie, we have kept the greedy viacom happy.

oh joy......... ;(

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Who is actually deciding to make the channels go dark?

Viacom will be making the channels go dark by not granting DISH Network permission to broadcast their channels.
half truth, as I understand it. its both parties. viacom is using mafia rule to extort dish into buying stuff it doesn't want to buy. but unltimately, its dish that is causing the channels to 'go dark'.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
linux-works said:
actually, direct-tv isn't any better, really. they DID cave in (as I understand it) and DID agree to pay the extortion fee to carry the good, the bad and the ugly channels.
Yup. They did it with the Disney/ABC channels about 18 month ago I think.

Both parties at fault here. They both want to protect their profits and it looks like they will both lose with the current situation.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
company A wants to increase its profits. it invents scheme A'.

company B doesn't like scheme A' since it hurts THEIR profit. they fight back with scheme B'.

both A' and B' hurt consumers.

result: consumers lose.

welcome to the new economy. welcome to the machine.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
the bar is trying to cover the crawl. lol!

they have guys trying to position the crawl so its seen. that's A'.

B' is to position the black bar so it obscurs the crawl.

heh.

and as the crawl changes, the 'black bar guys' have to move their bar to fight it.

pitiful and disgraceful to fight like that in public. no better than children..

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
91 16V Jetta said:
linux-works said:
result: consumers lose.

welcome to the new economy. welcome to the machine.
No, customers will ultimately win. It may not be on your specific timetable, but without us, they loose.

Bush/Cheney 2004
wow.

I was in need of a laugh. I was kind of in a bad mood this morning. but reading your tripe gave me a great bellylaugh. no, really.

thanks man. I knew I could count on you ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
IMO, if Viacom wants to bundle its offering (crap or not) in a particular way and charge a fortune for it, that is their choice. No, they should not be fined for this either. No one is compelled to buy what they offer. In fact, the reward you would expect they would get for making an unpopular offering is a fast drop in profits. Let Dish, DirectTV, and everone else just drop them.

From that Slashdot article, here is what someone posted as the list of channels covered by this dispute:

BET
Comedy Central
MTV
MTV2
Nick Games & Sports
Nickelodeon/Nick at Night (Both East and West versions)
Noggin/The N
VH1
VH1 Classic
All CBS O&O stations (listed here) [paramountstations.com] within their local markets. (Those seeing WCBS, KCBS, or WBZ as a distant CBS service outside of their natrual zones will not be affected.)
All UPN O&O stations (listed here) [paramountstations.com] within their local markets. (Those seeing WSBK as a superstation outside of Boston will not be affected.)
KCAL in the Los Angeles area.

I can easily live without any of those. Frankly, so can anyone else. I say Viacom is slicing their own throats when they do stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Arj said:
I can easily live without any of those. Frankly, so can anyone else. I say Viacom is slicing their own throats when they do stuff like this.
I would love to see Dish and DirectTV tell Viacom to shove it. I don't care about any of those channels.

Maybe I could see a drop in price if they get rid of those channels...Yeah right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts