Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a bottle of the "urban grey" which is the factory recomm. for Silverstone grey metallic. I sware it's a little lighter than the car...anyone else experience this? I shook the paint before applying etc...followed directions. What gives!? :???:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just did a small spot on mine, satin silver. did you apply the clear coat yet? that might match the color a little better.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If it's lighter that means u need a thicker basecoat :) The thicker the basecoat, the darker it gets. U gotta remember that your old paint was exposed and the color might fade, so usually the new paint tends to look darker instead of lighter.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The other issue with metallic paints is that the metallic flakes sit differently each time it is applied - especially with touch-up, it's a hard match no matter how well you do it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rice Boy said:
If it's lighter that means u need a thicker basecoat :) The thicker the basecoat, the darker it gets. U gotta remember that your old paint was exposed and the color might fade, so usually the new paint tends to look darker instead of lighter.
My touchup paint is the thing that's looking lighter. The car's paint appears darker for sure...so you're saying that I should apply perhaps another coat on it to see if it darkens? And yes, I did apply the clear coat after.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Where did you pick up the touch-up paint. I have the same color B5.5 and I need to fix a small scratch.

Does the dealer carry touch-up paints??

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
When I bought the touch up paint more than an year ago and used it on my Silverstone Grey, it did a great job. no difference in color. I used the same vial last week to cover another scratch, and now it is lighter. Used the clear coat and everything.

The only thing I can think of is that the paint loses its color (fades?) over time. You may have got an older vial from the dealer. Not sure what can be done now. I have a 'patch job' showing on the front.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...double checked it with two dealers...same paint. I might buy the old paint vial thing...it had some dust on it, thought it looked like it had been on the shelf a while...I bought it at the VW dealer.

·
Registered
869 Posts
silver is the easiest color to maintain/fix, no wonder yinz with silver cars matched so well.

did you polish the section to even it out before applying the clearcoat?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I purchased a bottle of the "urban grey" which is the factory recomm. for Silverstone grey metallic. I sware it's a little lighter than the car...anyone else experience this? I shook the paint before applying etc...followed directions. What gives!?
I purchased the touch-up paint for my mojave beige passat from a VW dealer to apply to several self-inflicted scratches :( . I wish I never bought the stuff in the first place. I applied it to the scratches and it showed up lighter than the car's paint (My car was barely 2 yrs old @ the time). I complained to the deler that the t-u-p made my car look worse and I was told that it was not really effective. My car looked better with the scratches b4 the t-u-p. Now I will have to carry it in to get the t-u-p buffed out until I can get some $$$ to maybe repaint my trunk.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I had to touch up a little spot on my Silver (satin silver) a while back. Here is some good tips for you:

Take the brush out of the touch up jar and rinse it then dry it. After that, take a blade (box knife type) and cut the brush tip at a 45 degree angle, that way you have a point at the end of it ( !/ ) .

Dip the point of the brush in the touch up paint and dab it in the spot that needs it. Don't over do it even if you think there is not enough, you will have a chance to add some more. Once you have it feeled in, let it dry (1-2 hours) then fill in some more if you think it needs more (that's when it gets a little darker as well).

After it's fully dry, then add your clear coat out of the touch up paint kit. I got this information from a professional, so don't blame me :lol: . Just kidding, it worked for me, good luck :thumbup: .

·
Registered
252 Posts
my touch up paint sux too

two very different paint color just similar :mad:

hate it when those little covered spots are visible from far away :mad:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Feel so sorry about all our woes. At least scratches on my car are on the front lower part of the bumper and just below the trunk in the rear. Lucky to match the color the first time I used on the door ding/scratch.

I have 2/3 small dings on the hood (from some guy who put whatever was in his hand on my car to open his car door :mad: ), which I am gonna get professionally done. Not taking chances with the touch up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
YetAnother20V
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing