Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've got one you're welcome to for shipping cost ($7?). 1J0 035 180 B, dated 20/02.

But no code, and it has been opened up at some point, so I'm not certain it works (cassette would be most suspect). I think it came from another electrical engineer at my work, so it may have been opened just for curiosity. Dealer should be able to get you the code.

I do also have a CD changer, which does work, removed from my late Passat wagon.

Send me a PM if you want either.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. No need for cassette or CD changer, just the radio. I have an after market AUX adapter that plugs into the CD changer port where I'm attaching the tablet. Mine worked for a couple of years and died. Here is the set up: https://imgur.com/r7gxdpk.

I picked one up from the salvage yard and I had an issue with the code. I contacted all local dealers but they could not provide me with the code. I even went in person, gave them all info, brought the car in, no luck. Code is my only concern. Do you think we can get the code for yours?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I doubt it... I don't have the VIN of the car it came from.

Hopefully someone is listening who knows what it takes to get a radio code. At this late date it's not like you stole the radio.
You don't need the original VIN.

Used to be (up until last month) that you only needed A valid VIN (say, for the car that it's in), and the radio serial number - give those to dealer person, they get you code.
Alas, VW decided to change it... Now, car needs to go into service, and get connected to VW service tester. It retrieves the code for the installed radio.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't need the original VIN.

Used to be (up until last month) that you only needed A valid VIN (say, for the car that it's in), and the radio serial number - give those to dealer person, they get you code.
Alas, VW decided to change it... Now, car needs to go into service, and get connected to VW service tester. It retrieves the code for the installed radio.
They could not get the code for mine and I had the original radio. I know there are some places where you can get the code without the even, not where I live unfortunately. It's been a while so I may be able to if I try again.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,311 Posts
do you just need something to power on? Wouldn't a cheap aftermarket radio work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you just need something to power on? Wouldn't a cheap aftermarket radio work?
I found one, it had the code written over it.
The reason I was looking for one is because of the way I set up the audio system. I detached the face and installed it on the center console, which I replaced with the B5.5, it fits perfectly! I ran all 18 wires under the console and soldered them on both ends. That left room for tablet to be installed as you can see on the picture I shared above. I know there are aftermarket head units but I wanted a good tablet that I can use not just for gps, bluetooth or music, but Internet as well. Also, with an aftermarket unit, I would have to modify the wiring, fitment, etc. I don't depend on the oem radio for music quality, I use the tablet equalizer and an app which makes the sound so much better.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
If you'll forgive my ignorance, where exactly (or even roughly) is the "Cradle of Engineerin?" Or would you have to kill me if you told me? It seems like something an engineer such as myself ought to know, but alas, I do not.
x2

This question is for both captainfantistic and FrescoGreen01.5,
What type of engineering do you do?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
x2

This question is for both captainfantistic and FrescoGreen01.5,
What type of engineering do you do?
I'm an electrical engineer, mostly industrial automation and process control, instrumentation, and power up to medium voltage (13.8kV), but I've had exposure to everything from PC board-level design to large building projects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.