Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XM Radio service stopped working for myself and a coworker this past Saturday, I was curious if it happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
has it come back on? I've had it happen to me once or twice the second half of last year. It would act as if I didn't have an account and only allow me to listen to stations for about 3 minutes and return to channel 0/1.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, it's been out for almost a week and I've called XM tech support five times now. They can't figure it out. It acts like a brand new radio with audio on channel 1 and a few random preview channels that change every hour or so.

(hijack :) )

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
No issues here.

They should be able to verify that you're in the system and make sure you're "On" right? I'd say it might be a hardware failure but considering it happened to both you at the same time it sounds more like an issue at XM headquarters.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, they keep trying to say hardware too, but I _DO_ get audio on some channels, like it was a new/unactivated radio. So I know the hardware functiona and I'm getting a signal. Not to mention it happened to another person I know. :(

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
That was the same problem that I experienced. Somehow your system just "falls off" their grid and all you can get are the preview channels. I kept calling them and they couldn't fix it either. It shows on their system that your activated, but somehow the satellite doesn't recognize your hardware. One day, it just came back on.... :crazy: Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'm pretty sure it'll come back on.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
on one occasion about 3 days...on another, it was long enough that I burned an mp3 cd and didn't use XM for at least a week. :oops: :roll: It may have come back earlier, but I was so tired of listening to previews that I just gave up, especially since it seemed that there was nothing XM could do. I wonder if there are occasional registration glitches that confuse your account with a newly registered one. :???: so they deactivate one until they realize that it's wrong...

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
There's really no rhyme or reason to it. I have two setups. I one in my office and one on the car. The car was the one that had issues, but I'd test my office setup and it was fine. knock on wood, I haven't had it happen to me yet this year.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I lost mine once after disconnecting and reconnecting the unit to move it in the car. Ended up coming back on about 12 hours later....

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
No problems but then last night was the first time I drove the car since Sunday night. I removed the ecu to send to WETTERAUER. It was fune last night and for the 3 hours I was driving today..

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after 6 days and 7 calls to XM tech support and four more to the automated XM radio refresh system and 2 visits to the website, I've cancelled my service and no longer subscribe to XM.

I'm going to be looking for Sirius equipment this weekend. :evil:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
jwil said:
I've had Sirius for one month in the Passat and was so pleased that I just added it to the A4 yesterday. I haven't had any service interruptions, an ocassional drop-out but nothing major.

I debated between the two for months, and finally decided Sirius had programming that I found more suitable to my listening preferences.

Good luck,
D.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I don't know, I have to think it was somthing in your hardware that malfunctioned.

That still dosen't excuse that they can't do anything for you though.....

-Nick

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
jwil said:
Well, after 6 days and 7 calls to XM tech support and four more to the automated XM radio refresh system and 2 visits to the website, I've cancelled my service and no longer subscribe to XM.

Too bad things didn't work out. I'm sure you'll enjoy Sirius just as much as I enjoy XM. I found them to be pretty similar. Plus I see XM buying Sirius in about 5 years anyway (since they have 1M members and expect to make a profit this year; as opposed to Sirius' 200k members) and then we'll all be one big happy family :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
julianfang
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing