Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome pix. do they cause you any problems as far as turning? i wanted 17x8.5 for a more aggressive stance.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem at all with a stock setup considering that you'd be so much higher.

Here's 17x8.5" wheels with 235/40 tires sitting a little low... and no problems!

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will the high look geeky? i actually just want a wider and safer stance. do you think this approach is good? i live in nj where there's snow like 4 months out of the year... so i dont want to get 18s or lower my car. thanks for the pix and feedback!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Wider stance will depend on offset.Mine rims (both sets) have 35mm offset, stock offset on my '99 B5 was 45mm. So, I have now 10mm wider track from each side.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
well I live close to you.. and didn't have a problem being lowered and wearing 17x8.5" wheels, but to each their own.

Nenad uses one size larger tire then he should during the cold weather months... cause he lives in russia (guess they don't like repairing roads more so then the tristate area).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Generally you do not adjust offset, you buy wheels with certain offset. If you want them wider than you by spacers (round plates that you fix on hub and then put wheel). If you buy spacers you must buy new longer bolts for rims.
I think that 32mm offset is max. wide that you can go with Passat.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i get myself stuck in snow with the stock 16s and stuck height. so i dont think lowering it would help it any. hehe. anyone got pix of the different offsets?

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
actaully JROO, is that your car in that pic? if so, do you have more pix of your rims? would they happened to be gun-metal?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I doubt different offsets would really show up in photos... you might be able to see it a little in this pic. These are 235/45/17's, which definitely fill up the width of my wheel well better than my stock 15's.

More photos (including stock setup for comparison) at http://phil.photosite.com/car/

By the way - yes I think your car will look a little geeky with 17's if you don't lower it a little. I'm not really sure how you're getting stuck in the snow in NYC/NJ, but if you avoid snowbanks you shouldn't have a problem if you only do a modest drop (like eibach or H&R OE).[/img]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking of getting different wheels for my Passat, most likely 17's. I was looking at 225/45/17. How would they look on a 2003 Passat 1.8T, no lowering or anything. Would it make the car a bit too high or what? If anybody has any pictures of their cars on those kind of wheels or any prefferences of which wheels/tires to get that would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts