Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Passat 1.8t and am wondering if any of you know anything about purchasing complete engine replacements? Have any of you thought of this when our cars start to head towards less-green pastures? :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you, but...

As a general rule of thumb I don't disagree with you, but I don't think I'm in the same league as the rest of you guys in taking good care of my car. Plus, doing a valve and turbo job can't be cheap in itself, right?

I guess I'm thinking of these things I hear with other kinds of cars (namely Japanese imports) that they can order complete (and installed) engine replacements for like $3K. When I think about this, weighing the benefits of a newer engine block and rebuilt components versus just rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. ...I guess this can be philosophical, but it seems like a pretty good way of going at first glance.

You think this is a wrong approach? :nervous:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
It depends on how bad you want to save money.

You pull the head yourself and take it in to be cleaned up, and then put it back on when its finished, yes it would be better to go my way.

Pay someone to do it my way, and you may as well do what you're saying, using a good reman engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point...

I'm thinking you're probably right about just taking the head down to get redone. However, there's other engine components that fail over time such as piston rings and camshaft, etc.

What's a head job and a turbo job cost you by dropping 'em off to a shop?

Hey, thanks for the info.

Shawn

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Head I'd have to think about...probably 7 hours on and off total. Don't quote me though, I'm not at work.

The turbo I'd do for 5 total. If you are a half-assed mechanic, you could do the turbo yourself-they really aren't that bad at all in my opinion.

Valve job could actually be done for maybe 3 hours at a dealer, but honestly I'd take it to a machine shop as long as you KNEW they had the stuff to work on that goofball head. They have the stuff to clean up the valve seats a lot better than we do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You rock, Sharky. I'm getting excited about the possibility of getting my car half-way working decent again. ...running like poop right now.

Again, thanks! :thumbup:

Shawn :beer:

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
Honestly,are you going to keep it going at that point? With good care,I expect at
least 150-200K out of mine. By then you are on your 3rd timing belt and who
knows how many sets of control arms.
Keep really good care,change the oil often,and keep up with the timing belt and
tensioner every 60K and you should not have to worry about the engine.
PZ.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mentioned a timing belt in a previous thread and I'm not sure that my mechanic replaced it at my major 60K tune-up. (I've not been happy with him and don't want to go back) Timing belt isn't something I'd like to mess with personally. Actually, most things under the hood I'm not comfortable messing w/ anymore with engines being so computerized nowadays.

I took my car in 3 times to fix the check-engine light and it never got fixed. It reports "Emissions Workshop" every time I start my car. He said that it's a sensor in the exhaust that might need to be replaced, but the rest of the car seems to be checking out fine, so not to worry about it. Uhg...

So, yeah, I'm a little nervous about my timing belt. I've seen people discussing quotes up to $800 or so. I'm going to try replacing the spark plugs and doing a throttle body cleaning in about a week or so. If that doesn't fix it, I'll embark on the timing belt issue.

It's one of those 'when it rains it pours' times it seems. :cry:

It's all good though... Forgive my long posting, I'm venting. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts