Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently searching a company to re-chrome the reflector, face, bezel, and Burner housing on my Hella HID headlight due to age and wear; since I plan on re-installing it and goin' cyclops with one HID. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
I believe the process you're looking for is vacuum metallizing rather than chrome plating. As far as I know, it's quite expensive for small or custom jobs; I'll be interested in hearing if it turns out to be cost effective for you. (As compared to new headlights.)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I believe the process you're looking for is vacuum metallizing rather than chrome plating. As far as I know, it's quite expensive for small or custom jobs; I'll be interested in hearing if it turns out to be cost effective for you. (As compared to new headlights.)
yes. you cannot chrome plate plastic

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes. you cannot chrome plate plastic
That is what I meant, I typed the thread up quick while I was removing all the components from the plastic portions, didn't really pay attention to what I said. I recall someone retrofitted dual projectors into B5.5 housings a while ago, wonder how much he paid.

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
^^^ yeah, that was swaigo. He did all the work himself. I gathered most of the parts needed to do a dual real HID projector custom headlight set-up in stock headlight housings with clear lenses. Just waiting till I get the money saved up to pay for the labour because I can't do it myself.

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ yeah, that was swaigo. He did all the work himself. I gathered most of the parts needed to do a dual real HID projector custom headlight set-up in stock headlight housings with clear lenses. Just waiting till I get the money saved up to pay for the labour because I can't do it myself.
That set-up is just epic. I just want to get the one housing I have cleaned up so I can make the best of what I've got. But the cost to actually have it done can't be that bad, the company I e-mailed mostly works on classic restorations and the work examples they have done were far more complex (protecting sections not to be chromed, etc...) than just chroming 3 solid pieces and did not cost much; they're pricing starts at $35.00 for small jobs.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I'm interested to know what you find. I'd like to have my OEM HID's redone at some point as well. I messed them up a bit when I had to repair broken adjustment posts...

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They should get back to me tomorrow the soonest; the only stipulation is that they may consider them an exterior part (which they do not do) that requires a different process. Praying for a good price though as I really need to get it done if I plan on using it.

·
Registered
27,412 Posts
I had a bad reflector on my Hella OEM HID (B5). I ended up swapping in an A6 projector but had to make a custom bracket for it to fit. My highbeam ended up too high, but I did not feel like taking it back apart to fix it. I don't need the high beams with the HID.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts