Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a PocketPC 2002 w/ a Pocket CoPilot GPS receiver and I'm absolutely sick of the cables. :mad: I was thinking that I could put the actual GPS under the dash threading it through the air vent in my 1-din doodad holder just beneath the radio and as close to the top of the dash as possible (in order to still get an adequate signal).

Has anyone ever done this? Also, I'm totally at a loss how to take off the trim to get into the dash.

TIA,

Shawn

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use the digitraveler GPS w/ my Casio Pocket PC. I dont leave it on all the time so I just deal with the wire. I wish I could find a cheap mount so that I could leave it up. I've heard the suggestion of mounting the GPS in the rear window. If you do this its easier to hide the wire downward for minimal visiblity of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) I'm using a Casio, too.

Funny, I'm using a Casio E-200 w/ 1GB Microdrive and Pocket CoPilot GPS w/ Y-cable.

Well, I think you're in the same boat I am because I don't use it that often, but often when I need it it's not in my car. Know what I mean? I'm thinking of a more permanent cabling install where I can connect/disconnect the Cassiopeia. Also, I have seen some really cool mounting solutions. I'll see if I can find some for you and repost them here. ...I've just not bought one yet until I figure out the cabing issue first.

Thanks for the post.

Shawn :beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
893 Posts
www.proclipusa.com also.

I have their mounting kit for the 'blank' button on the center console. You then buy the device holder for the item you want to mount (PDA, phone, etc) and attach it to the universal mount.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks Jamis. Those proclip mounts looks awesome. Especially the "angle" mount one. I might just give it a try if the car kit that comes with my GPS is not good.

I am still waiting for my tomtom bluetooth gps receiver/software + hp h2215 pda to arrive to try it out. I hate wires. Bluetooth wireless seems to be the solution. I will let you guys know how it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good site...

Just wanted to send a note from personal experience... DO NOT get any mount that goes onto your air vents. I had one that did that I just couldn't stand. If you run you're A/C or Heater you're cooling and heating your electronics unnecessarily that could even cause damage to the device. Plus, it's not a good mount.

Thanks for the other site, Jamis

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm using a Arkon Vent mount. It's pretty easy to install and to take off. I don't really have any solution to power cable/gps serial cable. However for the cable to the gps reciever, I just put it under the passenger floor mat and tucked up around to the far corner of the windscreen. That part of the installation is pretty clean. When I am not using it I just take off the vent mount and pda powercable, unplug the gps from the powercable and tuck the gps cable under the passenger seat.
It's a quick 1~2 mins to install and connect everything backup again.

The gps to the rear option is not viable for me as I have a variant.

James

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Ipaq 3700 w/Navman GPS Sleeve (no wire running to a GPS as the GPS sleeve is what the Ipaq sits in) and running Pocket Copilot software. I only have 1 power wire and I mount it using an Arkon Holder and vent clip that is designed especially for this setup. Works great.

I've been meaning to post of photo of this, and plan on doing it sometime next week.

You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=NAVGPS3450

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, I finally got my tomtom bluetooth receiver + tomtom 2 navigator software. So far, I not impressed. Here are some of the pro's and con's:

Pro:
small and effective GPS receiver, very nicely constructed.
3D view of the tomtom software is shows great detail and one of the best I have seen. It even showed if the the road you travelled on has center dividing islands or not.
software installation is a breeze.
accurate and fast acquisition of the GPS satellites and locations.
lots of POI (point of interests like airports, resturants, gym, gas, park, etc....)

Con:
on 3D view, street names are not listed (huge minus).
voice navagation is poor, it does not tell you the name of the street/hwy you are going to turn into or on. In the case of the hwy, it does not tell you the directions of the hwy (e/w/s/n).
you can only look up destination via address. not able to input via street intersections.
lack the option of "avoid hwy", "avoid local streets", "shortest distance", "shortest time". only has 2 options: "direct or indirect"

Of course, I am comparing this with my brother's Magellan RoadMate 500. It is far superior, with the only exception of the 3D view. Then again, it is the voice navigation that really matters.

If any of you don't mind, can you tell us what it is that you like or dislike about the mapping software you use?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have an iPAQ 2215h, w/ Haicomm CF 303mmf GPS/NAV kit- using Intellinav's GPS software. Mounted on an old mount i used for my cell phone by the right hand side of stereo head unit mounted on the side of the cetner console. I'm waiting for my order of the SEIDIO (seidio.com) G2500 PDA mount- its a PDA specific mount that provides the power connection and audio (for gps) and cable that can be hardwired to the car or attached to the 12v power outlet. It is a much "cleaner" set up. I'm also planning on acquiring the Proclip attachement.

I had a Socket Bluetooth GPS but w/ the 2215h, having connectivity issues, i decided to forego the bluetooth NAVkit and returned the unit. Besides, the Hi303mmf CF card GPS can be coupled w/ a haicomm "bluetooth slipper" - but that will be later. I got the haicom 303mmf cf - for 149.00.

Here's my question...anyone has a finely detailed/ illustrated instructions of how to hardwire to the car, or perhaps installing an additional power outlet in the front.

E.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Gimps U,

You should try Mapopolis or Destinator3 or Intellinav's Navigation Software. There's a trial/demo map for Los Angeles in the Mapopolis.com site. I was using that as a 'stand-alone' map guide on my 2215h before i got my navigation system. As mentioned, i had a Socket BT GPS ,but due to unresolved issues between Socket and iPaq2215h- connectivity problem- (it was actually a friend's Socket BTGPS, and was selling it for fare less than retail price). Anyways, I could have opted for Pharos BTgps, or even HP's, but i found a more practical price from Haicom- a CF foldable GPS receiver. It came w/ the Destinator3 trial software, but since i had the Mapopolis demo, and Socket's (netropa gps softare-actually by Intellinav) in my PDA, the system worked great for either one of them-- i eventually uninstalled Mapopolis- concerned about program conflicts. ! The Intellinav can be tracking 12 satellites at one time.

If you want to try the Intellinav software (let me know- email me at [email protected]). It does not have the "3D, bird's eye view option, but i found the graphics quite pleasing and easy to recognize. It has speed alert, Point of interest information, corrective routing (if you missed a turn) and the Voice instructions are very clear!. Check out their website, and see the manuals--see if you like it.

e

http://www.intellinav.com/product.html

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Anyone seen or have used this softare "PocketMap Navigator USA 2004"
http://www.pocketmap.com/navigator.html

It looks like TomTom navigator. But after reading through their site, it looks like a more "complete" package. Then again, I haven't really used TomTom. As i've mentioned before, i'm currently using Intellinav's My Navigator (actually for Socket GPS- but im using a CF card GPS) which i think is a lot easier to use than Mapopolis.

:)

erick

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use IPaq 3600 ith TravRoute Co-Pilot GPS sleeve and Mapopolis maps. I have tried with many other hardware and software combinations but found this as the best combination with less wires ( only with power cable). Co-Pilot GPS comes with a vent mount and can be easily attached to Passat eventhough it doesn't sit well for my wife's Mazda. Mapopolis maps are reasonably accurate and provide better voice navigation compared to other software. It has a cool feature called speed alert, which will alert you by beeps when you exceed certain speed limit. I really like it.

Mapopolis is more suitable for short distance or city driving. If you driving long distances, it is really pain in the neck to load all the individual county maps because you don't know what are the counties you will be passing through. So, I use another map software called StreetAtlas on my desktop to plot my route and figure out counties and then download those county maps in to my pocket PC. I have been using this setup for more than a year and I am very satisifed. The only drawback is because this is not a fixed setup I have to make sure that I carry the hardware when ever I am driving. I had few occassions where I lost my way and I didn't have my PocketPC handy. I am thinking of a more permanent setup like carputer but Mapopolis doesn't work on Windows.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got the NavMan 3400 sleeve w/ a iPaq36xx and it works well. Not always easiest to read in bright light environments.. (it's on a suctioncup/windscreen mount)

Generaly the navigation is good.. rerouting is good.. but once in a while.. it will take you NO WHERE NEAR where you wanted to go.

- - -
Micke

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use the Garmin GPSMAP 60cs and a custom built mount. Not a palm based solution like you guys but is an excellent unit.

The mount is bolted using the 2 mounting screws for the climate unit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Update:

I switched to a Belkin bluetooth GPS receiver and belkin mapping software instead of tomtom. So far, this is my take:

Pro:
much easier software installation and bluetooh set up,
more stable software with my Pocket PC windoze OS,
intersection destination look up,
superior battery capacity 1200mAh vs 600mAh,
Quicker re-start/re-connect of bluetooth connection between my iPAQ and receiver.

Con:
appears to have less POI than tomtom,
screen view and 3D view is not as good as tomtom.

I just got it, so I have not fully tested it out yet, so unsure if any problem will arise or not. I will keep you guys updated.
:D

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
just browsin to some forum sites- and i thought i'd show my PPC set up since my last post in this topic.

I am no longer using the CF GPS(although still keeping it just in case BT GPS fails) I was using the CFGPS for awhile but was able to fix the connectivity issue w/ the ipaq's Bluetooth and Socket bluetooth.

What i'm trying to figure now is whether the Seidio G2500 carmount's PS2 port would work w/ a VAG-Com adapter (another site was selling a VAG Com adapters for ipaqs) so i can use it to diagonse/monitor the car's system, and check boost!

e

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
17 Participants
Guidoracer
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing