Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the GMAT on Wednesday, and will be finishing all of my business school application withhin the next few weeks.

When I take my practice tests, I score in the 92nd percentile on the quantitative (math) section and only in the 53rd percentaile on the verbal. I've completely stopped studying the math and am devoting the rest of my time until the test to studying the verbal. Anyone else have this problem?

If you just took the test and have nothing to say, post anyways...I'm interested in seeing who has taken it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same issue - took the test twice with completely different results. I found the best thing to do is, yes and obviously, focus on your weaknesses primarily, but don't completely lose track or stop practicing the other sections. Trust me. The first time I took the test, I did the same thing you did and got burned (ended up falling in the math section enough to hurt my overall score - every point counts). Plus if math is easy for you - why not ace it completely - can only help you that much more.

The way to study for the test is to take as many practice tests as you possibly can (I am a tutor on the side for the GMAT now). Basically torture yourself with the verbal section until the questions begin to look redundant. The second time I took the test I followed this philosophy based on a suggestion from my friend. Could turn out to be some of the best advice I have gotten in my life. I must have taken about 15 different tests, Kaplan, Princeton, Barrons, online this and that, whatever. In the end it was the overkill that did it. Also, if you start feeling burnt out take a few days off to clear your head (more good advice from another friend that made big difference).

Unfortunately ETS tests are all about ETS tests, and even if you can write a sentence as well as any Harvard B School grad, its their damn test that matters. Study hard for a few months and ace that thang. Good luck man, I wish you the best.

D :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I proctor all those tests..... well the computer based ones, GMAT, GRE. TOEFL.... eeks that test looks HARD... either people come out with grins on their faces or frowns.... but since you took the practice tests, it seems like you're in good shape. I'm so glad I don't have to take that test.... but I do have the take the EIT eeks! goood luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I took this exam last year when I applied for the University of Indianapolis' graduate business school (which I now attend). My score was 650, with approximately the same scores for verbal and math and a 4.5 on the writing component. Granted, these were rather mediocre scores- nevertheless, they were sufficient for UIndy and there was no way I would have paid another $225 to take it a second time! :roll:
With that said, I probably won't think about the GMAT ever again.

Anyway, best wishes to The GREEK and others taking this (somewhat expensive) exam.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I took it a few years back. I agree with what was posted above, that lots of practice tests are the best way to prepare.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Took the GMAT a few yrs back. Scored a 670 which was better than I thought I would. I didn't take a practice test but bought a book and used the practice tests from the book. I'm finishing up my MBA this May.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
No luck brother, just knock it out. I did a 730 and attended Carnegie Mellon University, which was an awesome MBA experience. I almost did a joint JD/MBA program at Georgetown University, but the program at CMU was stronger in IT/E-Commerce. I'm still thinking about Law School, but Ole' Swami is enjoying not being a student! When I first started studying for the GMAT I used Kaplan's GMAT prep guide, and some old SAT Vocabulary books I had from High School.

Let me know where you have applied. I still have some pull at CMU, if you are interested in an excellent MBA program that will challenge you and has an excellent IT concentration.

Peace and blessings,

Swami

1 - 11 of 11 Posts