Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be getting my car soon, and i am in a little predicament. The car is a 2001.5 so there has been about 2-3 years of paint fading. If i debadge "how" noticable will it be???
The car is Black
Also will it fade over time and be less visable???
I am debadging the PASSAT not the rear VW (well not yet at least :lol: )
TIA
Jordan

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just debadged my 00 V6 the other night. After I got all the sticky stuff off, I saw some ghost letters and got worried. But, after a liberal buffing with some Zymol, you can't tell anything was on there! Too sweet!
I did this on my 89 Fox after a few years and i couldn't get rid of the ghosting. There are some factors to consider...has the car lived it's entire life outdoors? Has it been waxed properly since birth? I think these matter a bunch. Of course, you could always compound it all out I guess.
Good luck!
Michael 8)

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's new enough that you shouldn't have a problem. Mine is older than yours, and i had no problem. Mine has been pampered and lived 3/4 of it's life in the garage.
Just Do It! 8)

·
Registered
547 Posts
The key is to get either a fine or ultra fine rubbing compound (3M is good) to get the shine up.

I did mine last summer and I made sure I couldn't see any shadow of the the letters.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I debadged after 3 years....car is always unfortunately kept outside (Colorado Red) Some 'ghosting' of letters was present but nothing a bit o' compound couldnt take care of! Debadge it....it looks much better!
:thumbup:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2000PASSAT20V said:
I debadged after 3 years....car is always unfortunately kept outside (Colorado Red) Some 'ghosting' of letters was present but nothing a bit o' compound couldnt take care of! Debadge it....it looks much better!
:thumbup:
I am most likely goin to, but i might wait till i get the rear VW filled since they have to repaint the whole trunk anyway

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
just debadged my 99 yesterday. FYI don't use paper towels with your lubricant!!!

but looks great still. can't see the abrasions unless you knew the badge was there and i'll polish it off this spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To get the goo off

Try this stuff to get the goo off, it is call SOS, SAFE ON SIGNS. We use it in the sign industry to take of industrial glues it is amazing stuff, it will take off spray paint. You can get it from a chemical supply company. Be careful though, if you use it make sure you clean off the suface with soap and water after you are done because it will continue to work!

:D :D 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts