Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the OEM springs with new OEM springs?

I'm getting ready to swap the shocks for Koni FSD's, add a [email protected] front sway bar, and replace the entire front end links with heavy duty Meile parts from ECS.

I have a 99 B5 wagon with 1.8t, with 80k miles on it, I'm thinking while I'm at it, might as well swap out the springs. I'm not interested in any type of lowering (koni nor eibach), i want the stock height, and I want the load capacity.

Problem is dealer wants $120 per corner, cannot order them till I show them what paint code is on each, and then order them which could be a few weeks. Seems every car is different depending on A/C, tranny, motor, etc...

Thoughts?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Springs don't wear out under normal use. Unless you've been offroading, there shouldn't be any reason why you need new springs. Have you noticed problems with them? Rust? Peeling paint? If you don't see any signs of physical damage, the new shocks will take care of whatever "boatiness" you're feeling.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
If you want to increase load capacity, order a set of 1BE springs from Richie at Autobarn VW. For the same color code, they will carry several hundred extra pounds. You could just do the rear set if you want to save money. I would go 1 weight code higher so there is no lowering.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to increase load capacity, order a set of 1BE springs from Richie at Autobarn VW. For the same color code, they will carry several hundred extra pounds. You could just do the rear set if you want to save money. I would go 1 weight code higher so there is no lowering.
Thanks, I'll give him a call.

·
Registered
828 Posts
order a set of 1BE springs from Richie at Autobarn VW. .... You could just do the rear set if you want to save money.
This is by far the best solution for what you want. But I would do all 4 corners. The price is right and you will be amazed ant the handling difference.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
He's already putting in Konis. That's enough damping to deal with any spring. FWIW, I have 1BE springs on all four corners of my B5 with Bilstein sport shocks and it works very well.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
He's already putting in Konis. That's enough damping to deal with any spring. FWIW, I have 1BE springs on all four corners of my B5 with Bilstein sport shocks and it works very well.
Long time no post :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts