Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to start changing my own oil and do my own work on this car, basically because I want to save money and I'd like to learn how to do this stuff on my own. Anybody know of any places in the pittsburgh area, or any types of places in general where I could recycle my used oil???

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
In MA and NJ I've never met an ordinary gas station that didn't want the oil. It's re-sold for asphalt manufacturing, heating oil, and other purposes. Environmental laws require them to re-cycle most/all of the fresh oil they sell, so they are happy to take it.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
pour it over a rock in your neighbor's house!!!

or the hole as mentioned above^^^

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yep, my local autozone just lets me walk in and dump it.

Don't ever pour it onto the ground. That's so not cool.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Here, Autozone, Pep Boys, Adance Auto all take used oil. They have a big recycle tank in the back. Never a problem.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I *believe* that in most states, if not a federal law, if you sell the oil you must take the waste oil. I may be wrong, but I thought I remember that from somewhere.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Besides the local auto parts stores, my city's municipal recycling center also takes it. They have dump barrels for oil, as well as bins for the used oil filetrs. My tax dollars at work. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yeah, most of the autozone-type places have a barrel in the back... you just dump your container in the barrel and take your container home to use next time. Make sure there is *nothing but oil* in the stuff you bring in. No tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolant, etc.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here, I pour the used oil into the empty new oil bottles & set 'em out on recycling days. The Metro waste transfer stations will also take it, if I'm making a run there for some other thing like used oil filters or batteries.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I wonder where all this used oil goes... I mean, I know they recycle some of it, but what about all the contminated oil that can't get recycled.

Maybe there is a need for Kramer's Oil Bladder concept.... I think we should make a giant dumping ground on the moon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you don't like going to the stealership to have work done, you might want to think about this....

If you are in the northern part of the country where it gets cold in the winter, there are a lot of shops that have waste oil heaters. You might find a nice shop to have work done on your car and give them your oil -- they would be happy to take it and it may be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I realize that the little oil you take them might not make a huge difference, but it's the thought that counts.

SL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts