Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 v6 wagon, manual and the previous owner put the cheapest, thin-walled cats on it possible. After welding in new flex joints a couple of years ago and recently doing some creative patchwork it's time to replace them. The final straw was the driver's side pipe cracking at the end of the second cat on my way home yesterday because of really bad corrosion. Since the car is going on 16 years old and has almost 190k miles on it I don't want to dump $1500 for cats (I originally bought the car for $2200) but don't know if I can trust the quality of some of the cheaper replacements. Anybody had any luck with Eastern Catalytics cats? Any help (constructive only) is greatly appreciated.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,913 Posts
What about someone parting out their car? Aside from that I know Magnaflow makes replacements, but I've never had to replace cats before so I can't comment on quality.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,168 Posts
Generally, you want a direct-fit part, not a universal or generic. There are plenty of reports of universals not matching what the O2 sensor expects and turning on the CEL. Used parts... I'd be suspicious of also. Most places it's illegal to sell them commercially, so it'd be a private sale with little recourse.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally, you want a direct-fit part, not a universal or generic. There are plenty of reports of universals not matching what the O2 sensor expects and turning on the CEL. Used parts... I'd be suspicious of also. Most places it's illegal to sell them commercially, so it'd be a private sale with little recourse.
I am looking at direct-fit. The prices run the gamut though... There was no issue with the cats themselves, just the pipes so I might have the exhaust wizards by me weld up some new pipes with the existing cats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts