Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right, car started sounding like a diesel engine today tap tap tap, and I figured it was a lifter not getting oil so I took it into my mechanic and he took a look and said it was a collapsed lifter?

I understand the concept of a hydralic lifter collapsing just never heard of it before.

Now he has to check for camshaft damage and valve damage

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
collapsed lifter was common in the old chev V8s that were neglected and were run with either under spec oil or never had the oil changed. The inside of the lifter would varnish up and the plunger in it would then stick in the compressed position. We used to use an old trick of running a quart of automatic transmission fluid in with the oil for a couple hundred miles. This would free it up .. Not sure if I would try that in todays engines.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the my mechanic said the vavle is messed and the Cam is also dinged up pretty bad, I am going to try and swing by and get some pics tomorrow.

On the oil thing, I change it regularly every 3000 miles, with mobil 1 5w-40

any idea what could have caused this? other than general failure of a part?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty heavly moded, if it turns out I need a new engine I will tow it home and put everthing stock back on and try and get it covered otherwise I will just pay out of pocket..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.