Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Silicone hose kit at Pep boys for $19.99, it came with 10' 4mm, 10' 6mm and 6' 8mm.
I was wondering which vacuum lines I need to replace with the silicone hoses. I already replaced the fuel pressure regulator line and the DV line cuz the old lines were deteriorating, but I don't know which other hoses to replace.
Pics would really help. TIA

Ben

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn!! :mad: I replaced the coolant overflow tube, the one on top of the engine and it ruptured on my way to work!! My low coolant light went on so I hope I didn't mess up the turbo. My temp reading was still steady at 190.
Good thing I made it all the way to work. I'm glad I work at a Lab, we have Distilled water and I even found some replacement tubing made of Reinforced Nalgene PVC.
Hope the new tube will last till I get home. I had to add about 2.5L of distilled water.
Will it be okay to leave the current water/coolant mixture or should I drain and refill with new coolant?

Word to the wise, don't replace the overflow reservoir tube with silicone hose :eek: , unless it's reinforced.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had real bad luck with the pep boys "silicone" kit. Mine was collapsing when it got hot. I ordered real silicone from hosetechniques.com and have had much better luck and even smoothed out my idle. If the stuff PB has and claims is silicone is in fact silicone, it must be a very inferior grade of silicone, and it has very thin walls. The HT walls are much thicker.

The hosetechniques.com has Silicone Heater Hose, in addition to its silicone vacuum hose, so you could use that to replace the PVC you used.

Here is what my hose set up currently looks like. I used SHH to replace my breather hose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts