Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I've had a decent drive. Too many non-drivers on the road doing just about everything BUT driving. Also where I live we have a huge A-hole factor, lot of bullies on the road with not much to do but cause havoc. Having a nice German sedan is not much fun when you cannot use it's full potential. A couple times I got up early a took that sweet pre-sunrise drive before the d-bags get out, that's about the only sacred time anymore. I give up on the commute thing, I just get in the middle lane and set cruise at 60, even 60 is too fast some days, why can't they just go??? 18 wheeler's in the left lane all the way thru town
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live out in the middle of nowhere and you would think that would make for good driving time, but it seems like every time I get in the zone, I come around a bend to find Grandma Moses gimping along. A pre-dawn drive is a good idea. Might have to try that someday soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I remember a few years back, around 10 members of my local VW club went on a cruise on the back roads of Wisconsin, which is beautiful in palatable weather. Since some people had old air-cooleds, we decided to go at a leisurely 45 mph or so, and besides, we were out in the boonies as it was. Suddenly, someone in a 70's-era Camaro got behind us. He was pissed that we were going so slow that he revved his engine up and passed all of us at around 80 mph as he bared the three remaining teeth in his head. I'm surprised that as he was undoubtedly headed back to his trailer park from a beer run that I didn't see a Confederate flag draped across his back window or hear Free Bird cranking out of his stereo....................

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, actually! It was a overcast today, so I went on an hour long drive down and around across the Southern, down the Robert Moses, back across the Ocean (it was EMPTY and I pulled my 01.5 ATQ up to 120 mph!!) and then back up the Meadowbrook. Perfect way to unwind! Who'd have thought Long Island would be the place B)

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
While headed down to Austin last weekend, I hit some nice back roads in central Texas, 20 miles west of West, down through some rolling hills south of Temple (and just west of Fort Hood) last Saturday. This avoided major traffic problems in Waco and there were some great stretches of low/no traffic roads with high speed limits (70-75mph on a 2 lane!) , great scenery, nice pavement and some twisties to keep it interesting! Surprisingly, there were no issues with flooding as we crossed the Brazos along the way.

We did get to see flooding after we had arrived in Austin. We headed out to Pedernales Falls state park to see the river in flood stage. It's both impressive and scary. What is normally a nice place to swim, rock hop and walk in a slow flowing creek (in a large riverbed) had turned into an angry brown torrent 200+' feet across. There were plenty of stupid people wading and even swimming in the calm eddy or near shoreline. This despite over a dozen drownings in the last week due to the flooding.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just a thought here....Is anyone familiar with the Tail of the Dragon? It's an 11-mile stretch of Highway 129 in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. There are 318 curves. I've done this with a group of water Beetles, and I believe a group of GTIs do it as well. Lots of car groups and bikers do this run , and I was wondering if anyone ever thought about doing it with a bunch of Passats.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
When I finish my car, I would love to do the Tail in the fall. It will not be this year, but sometime in the future I will drive it. I've driven many fine roads coast to coast, but that one I have neglected despite passing nearby multiple times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
two weeks ago seattle got a bunch of snow (that is a rare occurrence for us) I decided to go up into the mountains that week too, and as there were many other cars in the ditch and putting on chains, I kept on driving with my 4motion. Great feeling, great drive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I forgot to mention this on this site....Last fall, I finally found a water-cooled VW group. I've been in a local VW club for many years, but it's 99% air-cooled, and I haven't been in an air-cooled VW since 2009. The water-cooled club has mostly GTIs and Golf Rs. Here's the problem: I went on a cruise with them shortly after joining and they drive WAY too fast. I'm talking 85-90 mph on back rural roads. Not only was I nervous as hell, but I am a driver by profession and if I got busted for going 30-40 mph over the posted speed limit, I'd lose my job faster than you could blink an eye. As the 2017 season approaches, I'll give these guys another chance, but if they continue to cruise at those insane speeds, I'll either quit or limit my activities with them to parked events.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most days on my way to work I truly enjoy driving my Passat. It's not a long drive, about 20 minutes. Specially on a clear day, shortly after the sunrise, light traffic, nice scenery. A couple of freeway changes and merges, just so you downshift a few times and keep you engaged. It's a 17 year old car, but it rides smooth. All that time spent wrenching (and cursing about yet another leaky coolant flange, no matter how Genuine it is), makes driving the car that more special.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nostalgia car

I have really enjoyed driving my 2000 Passat Wagon. Love the power of the V6 and the manual transmission! Comfy seats, like driving in an easy chair.

I'm self-employed so I can usually avoid the horrible rush hour traffic here in the Bay Area. Even just on the drive to SF from SJ, I take 280 if possible because I can drive past rolling green hills and a reservoir instead of industrial parks, billboards, and office towers. I've gone up around Woodside a couple of times, and the drive to a friend's house in the hills is a bit twisty through trees. Never had time for a road trip and this year I wanted to do some deferred maintenance before going out of the Bay Area. Now it's totaled but I hope to get my new A6 ready for road tripping. Reno, Arcata, Portland, Seattle here we come! Might get to see my friends in San Diego again too.

I remember my first "dashboard snowflake" on the way back from a SF craft fair on Thanksgiving Weekend, driving down 280 late at night. (I also remember looking up the frost warning on the forums!)

My first car was a 78 Ford Fairmont with the V8 (total Q-ship) and I'd drive around Southern California listening to KROQ "Rock of the 80s" commuting to my temp jobs or driving for the fun of it. Why not--gas was only about a buck a gallon. It got T-boned in 1991 and since then I've pretty much owned econoboxes (Honda Civic HB, Nissan Sentra). (The Triumph GT6 was really my ex's car and it threw a rod bearing after only a few months.) We recently got an 80s station in the Bay Area and when I'm fed up with the news on KQED, I just crank my 80s tunes and sing along. It's like being in my 20s again only with more wisdom, better seats, better sound system, power everything, actual safety features, great cargo capacity, and a manual transmission.

I miss the Passat but I hope I love my new 1999 Audi A6 Wagon as much. At least I can still use the Passat as a parts donor for mechanical stuff. Quentin's in charge of the project, so he gets first dibs on stuff I don't need, but I'll be parting it out and posting here after I'm off probation. (PM me if you're looking for anything.)

I hope the Audi A6 doesn't feel like a cruise ship (can't test drive auction cars, unfortunately) because the Passat was kinda just-right. Not an econobox but still reasonably agile and sized right for standard parking spots. Never had a car with all-wheel drive like the Audi I'm getting, but I'm going to miss manual transmission. (Unless we need to transplant the Passat engine/transmission if the engine is a lost cause and/or the transmission is bad. That would be a lot of work, but it might be nice to have manual and the old one seemed to be in good shape.)

Northern California's a great place for road trips--I really look forward to the drive to Arcata through wine country again. I went back and forth a few times a year 2004-2010 while I was in school at Humboldt State and the Sentra was still in good shape. One of the reasons I got the Passat was that my thesis advisor at Humboldt loved his 2001 Passat Wagon (1.8T) so much and I got to ride in it when a bunch of us carpooled to SF for a conference. Unfortunately, someone ran into his around 100K and he decided to take the payout and not fix it because it was due for a timing belt change anyway. (Which is pretty much what I'm doing, but mine is 174K and I put about 10K on it in my brief ownership. Why take Caltrain to SF when you have a great car to drive up a scenic highway?)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Twice a year, in October and in April I drive from Detroit via Laredo, Tx to a small town 5 hours south of Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco.
This is a 3,000 miles trip each way. On this drive I experience almost any driving situation imaginable, Interstates, high speed toll roads in the USA and Mexico, twisty and very hilly 2 and 4 lane roads in Mexico.

But I'm always trying to find more interesting roads either way. Done the Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge Mountain Pkwy, the Wisconsin Great River Road. Done these in my former TDI Jetta. Need to find some interesting routes to do in my TDI Passat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts