Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The throttle on my 1.8T seems to be connected to the engine via a very long rubber band. Stab the throttle......pause........then the revs start to come up. I'm not talking about acceleration here, the car is plenty fast. Nor is it turbo lag I'm experiencing. This is under a "free" revving situation. Basically, I like to heal and toe downshift but when you give the throttle a stab nothing happens unless you hold it down for a moment. I can retrain my foot for the timing necessary, but I wonder if there is a fix. There must be a 500lb. flywheel in there! I've also noticed that the revs continue to climb for a substantial moment after the throttle is closed, so maybe it's a cable routing or engine management issue.

the relative position of brake and throttle is poor in this car for heal & toe, but that can likely be fixed.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
What model year is your 1.8t? In MY2000 they implemented drive-by-wire technology, so there's no physical connection from your right foot to the throttle. With DBW, fuel delivery is inhibited while the brake pedal is depressed. If DBW senses a brake on fault, it will let you give gas If you just release the gas pedal fully, then get on the gas again.

I don't have a DBW B5, but I've read of numerous lag issues associated with it, on both the VW and Audi forums. I guess it IS possible to adapt your driving style to it, and I've heard that its more pronounced on the Tiptronic-equipped cars. One Audi technician who writes a column for the Quattro Quarterly has expressed extreme frustration over it, because some of his customers don't want their cars back until it's "fixed", but Audi provides no support or insight. In fact, they refuse to acknowledge that there's a problem.

Regards,

Kenny

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
DBW does kill the fuel delivery if you depress the brake and the throttle, but it does give you a 2-3 second window should you want to heel-toe.

You just gotta keep your foot in longer. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is an '02, manual box. I don't see how this is an issue with tiptronic, since you can't blip the throttle for downshifts. If I have DBW then it's probably purely electronics. Throttle response should be better with DBW, unless they programmed it this way - which is kind of dumb for this type of car.

BTW, what is "DV" & "Forge DV"?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
carbinznh- No.

the lag is terrible on my mom's 03 1.8T Tip. i start the car, put a brick on the throttle, go inside, take a nap, check the mail, come back, get in and the it goes. :lol:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the same issue on my 03 5spd...Took it to the dealer he said it's a characteristic of that car and drive by wire...said they really cant do anything unless they upgrade the software. The delay sucks...if I had to get out of the way of a train...I'd have to rev it to 2500 and then let out the clutch. or just take it from the train. ;) If anyone gets a fix...let me know...glad it's not just me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not just you. I'm actually trained now that I hit the gas ahead of time when I want to do something. Sure, in panic situations you can't do that, but in normal driving I am used to it. Still sucks massively. When I drive our Mustang or my Fiero, I notice how I've been trained to do it. I hit the gas too early. :wink:

·
Registered
752 Posts
True...but the warranty issue rings true in my head...I'd love an undercover chip that the dealer cant weasel out of......"No I'm sorry sir, that oil leak was caused by you chipping your car and is not covered by warranty"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.