Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any W8 owners out there upgraded (or tried) to R8's or some other non stock coil packs and what their experience was. Picked up an 2003 W8 6speed not to long ago for my DD, It's been great so far other other than the random misfires I've been getting, mostly under WOT. It has 158k miles and I'm pretty sure these are the original coil packs so I'm going to start with those and the plugs. Figured I'd pick up some R8 coil packs to see how they do with this motor as I haven't seen any info out there.

Pic for attention

·
Registered
26,648 Posts
I am adding R8 coils to my 1.8T, from what I have seen, many people see a benefit from updating the coils. The R8 are the cheapest upgrade, they can be found for about $20 each.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: The R8 coil packs do indeed work with the W8 motor. These are taller than the stock coil packs and barely clear the intake manifold but they do fit under there. Happy to report that the car is running a lot smoother maybe even better than it did before the misfires.

·
Registered
26,648 Posts
Good to hear. Just changing the coil pack connectors made a huge difference in mine. With the new coils it was running great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts