Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I taking my b5 to the autocross at the Treffen Show. Any driving tips or advice for driving around a parking lot as fast as possible.
tia

Matt

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
  • Arrive on time, and walk the course (on foot...no previews of the course in your car allowed with most clubs) as many times as you can.
  • Look ahead. Don't let your eyes follow cones until they're right in front of your car, because when you look up, you'll see nothing but a sea of orange.
  • Keep two hands on the wheel at all times. Reach down to shift, but put your hand back on the wheel ASAP.
  • Brake early (which is always better than braking late and missing the turn completely). Don't try to brake and turn.
  • Look ahead.
  • A smooth driver is a fast driver. Keep your steering and throttle inputs smooth. Don't slam the throttle - squeeze it. And setup for your turns - don't jerk the wheel (I'm a major offender of this).
  • Don't worry about how your car is setup - it probably makes about .1 - .5 seconds of difference, while your driving could make 10 seconds of difference.
  • Oh. And look ahead.
  • And. Have fun! Most autocrossers are friendly, and share information freely. Don't be afraid to ask questions. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Also, inflate your tires to their maximum PSI and when you get there, ask people with similar sized/weight cars what their running front and rear; then let out as much air as you need . Of course the problem is, you want to take those pressures when the tires are cold so see stealthx32 FIRST bullet point. :)

Typically, for our cars, the fronts should have a higher psi than the rear. For example, on the high-performance tires I had once, it was 44 front, 40 rear. Keep in mind, I was running a stiff rear sway bar so I was trying to "balance" the car a bit more (read fine tune).

IF possible, after getting there early and registration is done, try to HELP setup the track; this gives you more time to walk the track before everyone else walks the track. I even got to ride shotgun on a track because everyone felt the course was "too fast" (trying for max. of 40mph) so I sat along with my helmet on and let this guy in a Jetta do his hot-lap; we hit 50-55mph on the stretch in question so we modified it to cut the speed. But it gave me a REAL good idea of how the track would be during a test drive. :) :) :)

Regardless, I found that if you bring a notebook (and you may see other do this too), and draw the track as you walk it, making note of the hairpins, sweepers, S's. During the wait, go over how you'll drive your line through the course. Some verterans may even help you out and explain how you "should" take the turn or how to setup out of one turn and into the next.

No matter what, we never do well on our very first AutoX as there are so many factors that vary from day-to-day, track-to-track, but the fun is going over and over again, gaining new knowledge and experience.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The tips these guys pretty much covered everything. Just don't go out there like you have something to prove. The first time is a learning experience and you should be out there to have fun!!! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Go for the early apex...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
oh thats a terrible video to post... someone wasn't obviously worried about safety or those people wouldn't have been so close to the course.

best word of advice... have fun... and breath!

(and of course everything from above) :wink:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Arrive early....there is a decent amount of prep when you get there. You have to get your car ready for tech inspection, get registered if you havne't already, rent a helmet if you don't have yoru own, pay your fee, and you have to wait behind everyone else if you get there late. Walk the course at a minimum of 3 times. First run...run at 90% to get a feel for the course and to make sure you dont' get lost. Visualize where you can be faster and where you can use a better line. Look ahead. The car follows your head. And most importantly, have fun.

I will be going to the Turner Field event this weekend in Atl. I hope to have the fastest BS time on street tires. I achieved this goal at my last autox.....beat the next closest street tire competitor by 1.2secs 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts