Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready to do mine but heard of horror stories about paint peeling blah blah blah, what did you do to ensure this won't happen for a lasting paint job, :crazy:

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I came in this forums to actually look at the answers :lol: . but none are here :cry: . I wanted to know as well, since i will be taking this venture as well soon, but not without advises. Or i might just go for a body kit, not sure. I just heard before that it would peel on this kind of material, which is why i hesitate. Let me know if you get answers on this or if you went ahead and did it, like to see the results, later........RAH............... :b5: :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
I'm awake!

The prep work makes a huge difference. Make sure all wax/armorall/etc... is removed, and sand them first. Using a flex agent in the paint helps too.

The only problem I have is bending the soft part on the door when opening the door and hitting curbs. This is mainly a problem on the passenger side(go figure).

full size pic's are available by adding .orig.jpg to the above pic links if you are a imagestation member(it is free to join).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Its always the person who doesn't care about your car, or you that messes you/your car up.

I want to paint my lowers too, but i have 18x8's and im afraid of rocks getting them too fast. any experience with wide tires

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have no problems whatsover and couldn't be happier :D Just have a reputable place do it. I ride 18's during the summer and it hasn't been a prob EVEN with the crappy Chicago roads.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As long as the prep is done right as mentioned above you'll be ok, get the valances done too... :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I got my lowers painted at Liberty as well and I think it looks fantastic. Its still holding up well after a hellish winter here in chicago. No regrets!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Are these pieces better off....off...LOL should they be taken off and worked on, then reattached? I was wondering about taking these parts to the shop and picking them up, all ready to reattached.

·
Registered
392 Posts
don't do it. they look like shit up close. and they chip easily. That was my experience anyway.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
I have had mine done for almost two years now, and it's time to do them again. Although they are not horrible, but up close they have more or less been sandblasted.
I bought all new pieces on the sides it was like 100$. Worth it because they were never armoralled. armorall is your enemy. also I run 18x8 all year so that should not conflict. I would also say it was worth every penny. Once I saw them I had no choice but to get the vw sign removed off the rear and even color matched my mirrors. HTH

-Nick

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm going for the painted look. Are the Votex products more durable? Maybe investing in them will eliminate some of the isssues involved in durability.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
with my new side lowers there really is no durability problems if it is done right, the only place that gets affected is the areas where the tires constantly kinda sandblast dirt onto directly behind the tires you can see what happens in the last picture above.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
redb5sdca said:
Paninaro said:
don't do it. they look like shit up close. and they chip easily. That was my experience anyway.
yours weren't done right if that's what you think.... :cry: sad you feel that way about such an awesome mod who did it for you ?
I agree with Nick (Redsdca) it sounds as if the shop that did your (Paninaro) lowers didn't do things right. :( I also have them painted and have never encountered any peeling or chipping. The only issues I've had were do to passengers exiting through the other doors banging them against curbs. :mad:

All most of us can suggest is you find a very good shop that knows what there doing and you shouldn't have any major issues.

Here's a couple of pictures of my ride. :wink:

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
dloemt said:
I'm going for the painted look. Are the Votex products more durable? Maybe investing in them will eliminate some of the isssues involved in durability.
#1 The Vortex parts are ex$pensive($600+).

#2 They mount over the stock pieces, so you still have to paint them(thje stock pieces) to look "all-of-one-piece"

I've noticed no chipping from rocks, only from hitting curbs with the flexible piece on the door.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Another representation here

I have no problems with the valences on bumper and lower sides, but the door moldings are getting trashed by my passengers slamming against the curb coz my car is like 1.75" lowered and most people innately slam open car doors. :poke:

Oh well, I get to touch it up once in a while anyways since my buddy owns a shop.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
S_Klass said:
Flippped said:
Flipped, is that a new C :b5: exclusive mod? Different alloy wheels on each side of your car! Wow! :lol:
LOL :lol: I knew somebody was going to say something. :poke: And the answer is no there just two pictures taking at different times. One with my old rims and one with my new rims. :p

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
25 Participants
pacent
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing