Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have my stock unit. I already have a box 2 x 10' w/amp in the trunk but I need more power to my speakers and I am looking at getting a new head unit. I see that Clarion makes a good looking head unit and it matches the lighting with the rest of the car. Any one recommend a good head unit that will pump out more power to all my speakers and sub. I should of got the Monsoon. What was I thinking. :sad:

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Anything you put in will sound better (marginally) and produce more power (noticeably). Go with whatever HU you think is the prettiest (seriously) and is the easiest for you to control.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
#1 Alpine
#2 Pioneer

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If you need more power to your speakers why not get an external amp? Running speakers off the stock hu you might see a 5 watt increase in power when upgrading to aftermarket. But since you are asking about a new HU im assuming you wanted a new one in the first place so if it were me:

Nak CD-400 (I personally use it, and love it)
Clarion - Their new Pro Audio stuff is pretty tight, just find one that fits your budget.
Kenwood - Their high end Excelon stuff is pretty cool too, not the greatest but they sound alright.
Eclipse - Find one that fits your budget

I cant really think of any more, well I can but they over shoot your 300 dollar budget like by 10 fold.

I'd strongly lean towards the Nak if I were you. Has to be one of the cleanest sounding decks you can buy for the price, bare bones approach though it plays cd's and thats about it. It matches up nicely with the dash, the colors of it are amber or green so the lights are off a touch but in all honesty it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am going to have to endorse the eclipse here, :D , of course I just installed
this CD3434 into my dash so I may be abit partial :wink:
http://www.eclipse-web.com/

however, it does indeed make a pretty huge difference in sound with stock amp and speakers(I am replacing these as well soon) so in the meantime I am enjoying the eclipse with stock amp+spkrs and life is good, although a bit weak on the low end, of course.
ok so yeh the eclipse doesnt match the color lights, it does however math a ipod look perfectly if one were added in. it does however look extra slick in daytime the aluminum/black mathes the vw symbol in steering wheel and shifter knob real well. I am kinda thinking of going loco on it and attempting to mod the buttons to a red instead of weak sauce green.

~les

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
nugglife4me said:
I am kinda thinking of going loco on it and attempting to mod the buttons to a red instead of weak sauce green.

~les

Happy voiding your warranty. :thumbup: With as many problems as Eclipse is having with their new DD units I'd wait to see if your unit lasts the warranty period before modding it.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i would reccomend and have just installed a kenwood excelon series cd head unit. it's an excellent quality unit, it cooperates nicely with all of the stock monsoon components (plug and play) and even adds a little boost. to top it off, the illumination red/blue matches the stock interior illumination nicely.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here's what I have in my '04 GLS. It's an older JVC MP3 HU (KD-SH99) I pulled from my BMW. The illumination matches very nicely, but I think I'd like to take the faceplate apart to paint it black to match the console.

This is also my first attempt at posting a pic, so apologies if it doesn't work right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks, Paul. I've had it for a few years now, and have no problems with it, save the occasional (once every couple of months) lockup where I have to do a reset and lose my EQ settings. A few weeks ago I was tempted to get the same Sony unit that VDUBRACER187 has, but them I remembered how much trouble I had with Sony (even MobileES) gear in the past.

When my SH99 was in the BMW it ran to a modest, but still nice 6-channel a/d/s amp the previous owner had mounted in the trunk. These days, I'm doing the Metra harness to Monsoon amp thing, but with the sub-out going to an OLD Clarion powered tube sub (Bazooka copy). Some day I'll get the nerve up to wire a new amp and separates in.

I think I'll just run the SH-99 'til it dies them probably look at JVC again or maybe Pioneer. But I can't live without my MP3s!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

·
Registered
302 Posts
wow I am lovin the dash lights on the '04 GLS ... anyway I am personally a big fan of alpine always have been pry always will be. you can always check ebay for great prices on new car audio equipment I have had great experience with ebay car audio. got my deck, components, both amps, and my sub off with no prob at all. all brand new and all for between 50%-75% of crutchfields prices.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.