Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I have the go ahead from my accountant (wife) and have been researching these?

every time I look at them I like them more; to be honest, the Superlegerra was never my favorite style, but the thin spokes on this newer version really look good (especially when I consider my minor brake upgrade). They are also very light for a cast wheel; under 19lb for the 18".

I have them in my cart at Tirerack with Khumo Ecsta ASX tires because they have a 420 treadwear rating.

My criteria for new wheels are fairly lightweight (18's under 20lb) and a reasonable price; I drive about 25,000 miles a year and cant justify $3000 wheels because they will get used; I hate to see an ungodly expensive wheel get nicks and scratches from everyday driving. I would like forged, but probably cant afford it. I also really prefer a solid brand name; I dont want to be a test car for some unknown company.

suggestions?

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Here is my honest opinion after buying a set of new 18s and a set of used 19s. I probably will never buy a set of brand new wheels again unless it would be a custom setup. Honestly for $3000 you can EASILY get something A LOT nicer than the OZs if you would consider a used setup. However if you really want the ULs then wait a few months untill people start selling them and you will be able to save A LOT of money. I spent MORE on my 18'' Fliks w/ brand new Toyos than i did on my SLIGHTLY (the previous owner used them for 200 miles) used 19'' TSWs w/ tires. Wheels depreciate A LOT, which when buying is in your favor.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rollininstyle2004 said:
Here is my honest opinion after buying a set of new 18s and a set of used 19s. I probably will never buy a set of brand new wheels again unless it would be a custom setup. Honestly for $3000 you can EASILY get something A LOT nicer than the OZs if you would consider a used setup. However if you really want the ULs then wait a few months untill people start selling them and you will be able to save A LOT of money. I spent MORE on my 18'' Fliks w/ brand new Toyos than i did on my SLIGHTLY (the previous owner used them for 200 miles) used 19'' TSWs w/ tires. Wheels depreciate A LOT, which when buying is in your favor.
not sure... i may have been ambiguous, but I cant justify going $3000.00... that is why I find these so attractive; they are light and a good price at around $1000 a set. And, IMO, quite good looking.

I have also looked at the Fliks because many on this forum have had good experience with both that brand and with edgeracing.com, but they dont really have much in the 18's under 20lb.

My biggest fear on used wheels is curbage and the unseen problems of bent wheels. Im in no real hurry and can wait a while, but worry that my accountant (wife) may find better use for the money, so dont want to wait long ;).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quality_sound said:
You could buy my 18" CH's and have over a grand left over instead.....:whistle: :poke: :lol:

ok, guys... i am NOT (N-O-T) spending $3000... I would be mortified at every scuff and nick from road debris, not to mention my anxiety when my wife drives my car! If I were, I suspect I would be buying a set of Fikse or I-Forged as they are both very nice looking, extremely light wheels.

The reason the Ultraleggera is so attractive is the price- just over $1500 with tires.

I absolutely LOVE the CH- it is a very beatuiful wheel. I didnt think it was notoriously light, though- isnt the 18x8 around 25 lb?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get the OZ's... even though you could save with a used set of wheels, there is always a reason why the person is getting rid of them. These wheels look awesome, I tried a set on at my work, and almost bought them. I like the new design, and that's not a bad price for the "package".
The Kumho's wouldn't be my first pick, but not bad tires.
Don't forget that each tire manufacturer does their own independant testing to figure out Treadwear, traction and heat ratings.
Good luck, hope to see picks soon.:thumbup:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
j said:
ok, guys... i am NOT (N-O-T) spending $3000... I would be mortified at every scuff and nick from road debris, not to mention my anxiety when my wife drives my car! If I were, I suspect I would be buying a set of Fikse or I-Forged as they are both very nice looking, extremely light wheels.

The reason the Ultraleggera is so attractive is the price- just over $1500 with tires.
OOOOO....i thought you were saying the ULs were $3k. Well yea for $1500 that is an awesome deal for thoose wheels. Go for it :thumbup:

·
Registered
835 Posts
quality_sound said:
You could buy my 18" CH's and have over a grand left over instead.....:whistle: :poke: :lol:
Couldn't agree with quality sound more! Hell, look in the classifieds NOW, there's bound to be someone practically GIVING beautiful rims away! Good luck!:poke: :angel: ;)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
j said:

I absolutely LOVE the CH- it is a very beatuiful wheel. I didnt think it was notoriously light, though- isnt the 18x8 around 25 lb?
yes, it's just under 25 pounds but absurdly strong. I'll take strength over weight anyday.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quality_sound said:
yes, it's just under 25 pounds but absurdly strong. I'll take strength over weight anyday.
i agree; one less thing to worry about, especially with the amount of miles I drive. However, I dont necessarily think it has to be one OR the other. Somebody on PW (I cant remember who) once said you have to decide on three criteria: low price, low weight and high quality. You can have two but its hard to get all three. In my opinion, I am about mid on weight (I have seen 15 lb in 18 inch) and price (I have seen $1000 packages with tires for 18's), but (I hope) I am still getting quality.

This is the reason I am considering this brand and model; OZ is not a brand with which I hear horror stories about bending and other problems. On the contrary; I have heard very good stories about the superleggera and was hoping a few people had experience with the ultraleggera.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
O.Z. is definitely a quality wheel. F1 cars run BBS and O.Z. for a reason. You'd be happy with either one IMO. I'll have mine at least until I get back in the states so let me know if you want to pick them up.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
quality_sound said:
i think it is way under that Pedro.
my 19 x 8.5 ch's weighed 24.5lbs.

the 18 x 8 's are 22 or 23 pounds per rim i believe..

the one thing i have heard about the OZ's (yes they are very light ..for non forged rims.) problems with the clear coat and paint PEEELING OFF.

that is the one thing i keep hearing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts