Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of starting to use quicken to keep track of all of my finances & stuff. If you are a current or former user of one of the above, what as your experiance been? Has either one of them been useful for you and/or made managing bills, money, taxes, etc easier?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
MS Monney has been great for managing our budget. We also use it for bill paying when availible. It's awesome to look at your fiscal forecast in Money and see the bar graph go up.. and up... hmmm savings...

Money also sends us email reminders to pay bills! It's cool. Just make sure you dont keep your database and backup files in your Kazaa shared folder. I know someone who did this :crazy:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Been using Quicken for 5+ years now. I enjoy the "net worth" graphs and seeing how it fluctuated when I was single, married no kids, married w/ kids, etc. I still use the paper registers to record everything and then transfer them over since I don't input into Quicken every day. There are so many things the software offers that I have not used. I mainly use Quicken to keep track of bank accounts (obvious), mutual funds, and use the budget graphs (all categorized income/expense). It's amazing how much money we spend on "misc" stuff. Not Quicken or MS Money related, but I only have to write two checks every month - the rest are setup as "autopay" from our checking account - saves a lot on time and stamps.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
My wife is in charge of all the money (go figure), and she swears by Quicken. The hardest thing is the initial setup... choosing categories and such for your income & expenses. The various Tax software (TurboTax, TaxCut) is generally compatible with Quicken & Money, and may be useful too.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I definately prefer Microsoft Money Deluxe to Quicken products. Reviews agree with me. Better user interface is the biggest reason, and automatic categorization. For instance, when SUNOCO comes up in a downloaded transaction it fills in "Automobile: Gasoline" for me immediately, less work for me!

I'm just starting to use the budget feature and I really like it, very customizable and intelligent!

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Microsoft Money :thumbup: I use the budgeting feature as well as the bill pay and love having it all in one place. Much more comprehensive than just using my banks online banking.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Quicken for the Mac here. It serves me very well--good reporting, easy functionality, intuitive UI. My biggest complaint about it is the lack of support for multiple currencies.

Complaints about the latest Mac version are pretty loud. I've seen a program called Moneydance be touted as an excellent alternative that's built on Java and supports multiple currencies.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
yeah...i've used both quicken and money. money is really good (i'd even say better than quicken), but since i use a mac, i only have quicken as an option. the quicken 2003 for mac is extremely buggy! it's really frustrating since it kicks you out of the program every so often for no apparent reason. plus, some of the calculations (like net worth) are completely added up wrong! i hope the 2004 version willl be better. anybody use it yet? better yet, i hope ms makes money for mac!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
fookie, check out MacWorld.com's Quicken forum for all the complaining about Quicken 2004. Intuit has issued a Rev.2, but bugs still persist.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
gig103 said:
I definately prefer Microsoft Money Deluxe to Quicken products. Reviews agree with me. Better user interface is the biggest reason, and automatic categorization. For instance, when SUNOCO comes up in a downloaded transaction it fills in "Automobile: Gasoline" for me immediately, less work for me!

I'm just starting to use the budget feature and I really like it, very customizable and intelligent!
I'm not sure when the last time you used Quicken, but all of those features have been in the Quicken Deluxe products for at least the last 2 releases. I've used Money before and to tell you the truth, if you know how to track your check book and use a computer (well) then you should have no problem with either product. But I will concede that the interface is more pleasant with Money ... but then again, I'm not loyal to either. As a matter of fact, I switch between the two so I can fee like I have a new toy every once and awhile. :)

But neither of these products will do anything for you unless you use it. I'm finally at the point where I want to know exactly where I stand with Net Worth and Balances and these products are extremely helpful. Just make sure you keep track on a regular basis, even if its not every day, otherwise its just a waste.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
ActuallyI tried out both Quicken and Money 2004 before buying Money. Note that the features exist in both as BigSwirv pointed out, but Money was more intelligent as well as easy to use.

For example, when I had both running to compare, them, I had them download my Discover Card transactions. Even the first time, Money was able to categorize common places like "Sunoco" or "Pizza Hut" to appropriate cateogires, while Quicken had to learn them the first time. Not a big deal, it was just one way of me pointing out that Money is "intelligent"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts