Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with a few friends out to a 4x4 beach next week and were taking my B5 4Mo wagon and a jeep. Are there any precautions I should take to prevent anything getting damaged by sand? The jeep has some off road equipment and sand tracks in case one gets stuck but the beach is pretty level overall so we're not too worried about that. My cars ride height is good and theres no sag at all. I dont have a belly pan, it wasn't on when I got the car, do I need one? Probably some dumb questions but I just want to be sure. TIA

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,145 Posts
A belly pan would help keep out some of the very corrosive salt-water soaked sand, but the real secret will be washing it all out afterwards. Better still, don't use the car in an environment it really wasn't designed for.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
4x4's and a Passat are two different things entirely.
I don't know if wheel bearings on a Passat are completely water-proof. The salt water will destroy those in short order if any gets into the bearing.

Back in my 4-wheelin days, I used marine grease in my wheel bearings (front hubs). That stuff is like bubble gum on 140° asphalt.

·
Registered
2003 Passat GLX 4Motion Wagon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4x4's and a Passat are two different things entirely.
I don't know if wheel bearings on a Passat are completely water-proof. The salt water will destroy those in short order if any gets into the bearing.

Back in my 4-wheelin days, I used marine grease in my wheel bearings (front hubs). That stuff is like bubble gum on 140° asphalt.
Thanks. To be clear I'm not gonna be driving through wet sand and definitely wont be going through any water. We're taking my car since it's awd and a wagon and can carry some of our gear and supplies that we cant fit in my friends cherokee. Thanks for the warning about the salt water anyway.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Thanks. To be clear I'm not gonna be driving through wet sand and definitely wont be going through any water. We're taking my car since it's awd and a wagon and can carry some of our gear and supplies that we cant fit in my friends cherokee. Thanks for the warning about the salt water anyway.
Well in that case...
Just remember that going in loose sand on fully inflated tires will get you stuck.
If you are going to be driving around on loose sand, you have to let out almost all the air, just enough to keep the tire on the rim and from breaking the seal on the bead.
Anywhere from 10 to 20 PSI inflated tire pressure you'll want to be at.

-Edited-
But you'll have to re-inflate back to normal before hitting the pavement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts