Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm just wondering if any other obdll (supposedly vagcom friendly) scanner on Amazon or eBay actually work and are worth it to buy? I don't have a lot of money I just got back into school full time and have a 5 year old so I can't afford the real vagcom and when I looked up one in my area I wrote the person who is marked to have one and he no longer does. So I was wondering if any of the cheaper ones are up to the job I'm not expect I to do everything as the original but as long as it does the most important that fine. Are any good at all? Thanks

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,234 Posts
But a blue cable under $10 from eBay and download the free lite version of VAGCOM. It does most things you need.

·
Administrator
23,296 Posts
There are plenty of mobile device apps that will get you most of the way there that are either free for basic tasks, or a small one-time or monthly fee to unlock more features. None will replace VCDS, but for most things diagnosing and small tweaks, they work just fine.

Get an ELM327 bluetooth (for Android) or Wifi (for Apple) OBDII scanner for like $15 on amazon or eBay.
Apps to check out (these are ones I have used):
Torque for Android
OBD Auto Doctor/Pro for Apple-Android
Carista Apple/Android
OBDEleven for Android

There are plenty more, but it's a start. With all of them, you can scan and clear engine related codes on the fly. Torque and auto doctor can read/report individual sensor outputs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OBDeleven works great for me. I've used it to scan for codes and reset them, set the DRLs on my B6, and other things. You can even do VAGCOM-style long-coding. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the blue chinesse Bluetooth elm327 working very great doing basic tasks like check faulty codes, clear them, view real time info like speed, temp, vaccum/boost, RPM... May be a great choice for you, since is available on wish for about 5 usd.

Hope you understand well since my english is not very good

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I know it's expensive, but having the full-up version of the Ross-Tech VCDS has saved me a lot of money and time over the years. I have a standing offer for anyone near the San Diego County north coastal reason to borrow mine or my Schwaben 12V/30V cam lock bar, which is indispensable for changing timing belts on any of the 2.7T or 2.8 engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts