Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Any new 1.8T 4motion owners here?

4K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  tazmo 
#1 ·
The 1.8T 4motions (GLS in US) are quite new but I'm just wondering whether anyone on this forum actually has picked up theirs and want to say something about it? And would be great if you have something you want to say about it in comparison with A4 1.8T quattros if you've driven one. And if you're new to the club, welcome to the :b5: gang! :thumbup:

#2 ·
Picked up my GLS 1.8t 4Motion 5m wagon last month. The only one I've seen on the road so far. Did a thread on it a while back, looking at the model changes that came with it. (Think I asked (facetiously) if it could be a B5.5.5.)

This car replaces a wrecked and much-missed 1999.5 A4tqms Avant --- that's the 1.8T engine with a 5m --- with, naturally, quattro. The Passat is significantly bigger inside --- and outside, actually --- and the upgrades to the 1.8T make it a noticeably peppier car than my old quatttro was, but the turbo kick-in is a little more dramatic than it was in the Audi. Harder to predict when you're going to get a little slug of extra power, but it's new, and I'm new to it.

In the slushy snow and ice we've had in the mid-Atlantic lately, I'd have to say that the Passat is every bit as capable as the Audi was. The Passat is wearing the Audi's old winter tires --- Michelin Piot Alpins, now in their fifth season of operation and showing little wear, but which will be retired this year anyway --- and the footing is sure and predictable.

The only other change that I didn't mention in an earlier post is the availability of pleather for seating surfaces! Still can get the real stuff, but, as a kayaker, I love having plastic seats. They look like leather, but wear as well, and don't mind being a little damp on occasion. Had the same basic stuff in the Audi, and much prefer it to cloth.

Hope this is of some use.

Joq

#4 ·
Bought mine about five weeks ago. It was one of three or four of the 2004 MY update --- signals in outside mirrors, the most obvious change, plus new configurations --- cars in stock at Fitzgerald in Annapolis. Was the only 1.8T GLS 4Motion. And the only wagon ( --- is the term "variant" an operative word?) that they had. They weren't advertising that they had any, but it was in the pack of cars out where they could be seen. Checked with other dealers, and each one had or was going to get a few of the MY update cars --- not all 4Motions, of course, and very few 5Ms.

Bottom line: they're hens' teeth at the moment. More coming, I'm told, in June or July. Very nice cars, and exactly what I wanted. (To the color.)

Check with your dealers --- this report could now be totally bogus, but it was the case then.

Joq

#7 ·
Saw both sedans and wagons in the MY change configuration, although most were FWD --- bought the 4Motion 5M variant. (Another dealer --- Valley, north of Baltimore --- had a GLS sedan with 4Motion --- could get a variant on trade with a third dealer.) This is early days. I just got very lucky.

#9 ·
I can barely type. Sorry, but all this electronics transmission is FM to me.

But there's not much to see. Go to "vw.com", go to Passat, and you'll see the directional signals in the mirrors --- and the mirrors are a little smaller and more wedge-shaped. You can't see the pleather or any other changes, as far as I can see. (Obviously, the badges will be a tad different. Mine just has "Passat" on the left and "4Motion" on the right of the hatch. No call "1.8T" anywhere.

#10 ·
i want one. yes, post some pics. :)

I've been bashing VW for a while now for not giving me the option of a wagon with 1.8T, 4motion and a manual. Now they went and did it. and the leatherette is icing on the cake. I'd love to see some interior pics.

#11 ·
Hmmm...just priced one at Edmunds....5sp GLS Sedan, Silver, Black Leather w/wood, Cold Package....$25,900

Only 5 years late...thats what I wanted in '99 but VW deffered until now. (it was originally to come in '99)

#17 ·
Spanky McGee said:
Somebody PLEASE weigh one! Sedan preferably!
Once again, edmunds pulls through... ;)

Curb Weight: 3491 lbs.
Base Number of Cylinders: 4
Base Engine Size: 1.8 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 4
Horsepower: 170 hp
Max Horsepower: 5900 rpm
Torque: 166 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 1950 rpm
Drive Type: AWD

just for comparison, the FWD 1.8T sedan weighs in at:
Curb Weight: 3240 lbs.

so it put on about 250lbs with the 4motion...

#18 ·
For my new 2004 GLS wagon 1.8T 5M with 4Motion, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) --- includes gas, oil, coolant, and maximum load of five pax at 150 pounds plus luggage --- is 4719 pounds; that's from a plate on the door frame. All specs in my supplemental manual sections line up with hotani's numbers from Edmunds. Nowhere in this significant binder full of manual sections and addenda do I see anything about net (curb?) weight, but I'll look again if anyone can tell me what section to review.

Might be of some interest that the addenda for this same manual do provide details on a 2004 Passat sedan and wagon with a 136 hp diesel.

If anyone wants more data --- or if you can tell me where to look for the curb weight --- please let me know.

Joq

#19 ·
hotani said:
Spanky McGee said:
Somebody PLEASE weigh one! Sedan preferably!
Once again, edmunds pulls through... ;)

Curb Weight: 3491 lbs.

just for comparison, the FWD 1.8T sedan weighs in at:
Curb Weight: 3240 lbs.

so it put on about 250lbs with the 4motion...
YOU ROCK!! :bow: :bow:

FYI, I got my manual sedan down to 3180 lbs :wink:
Goal is 3100 even!!! :p

#24 ·
Just called the dealer up and they confirmed they got some in stock I can take a ride in. So I will be off to the dealer to test drive one this weekend. Actually two, because I want to try both the 5M and Tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.