Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you can relate to being a Mr. Mom.The wife has resumed her hectic career where she is traveling 3 days out the week plus some weekends. I work fulltime too(8-4:30pm) plus taking care of a 2 yr old is challenging.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You're not alone. I'm a divorced dad with a four year old girl. She's home about every other day then every other weekend too. I work a little more than full-time and it isn't always easy finding the right balance. Most of the time it's not too challenging though but it's been like this since she was a baby. Sounds like your situation is relatively new. How are you adjusting to the new schedule?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
My wife has a weird 2-week schedule. Roughly 2/3 the time I pick up our 4 month-old from day care for the evening; she arrives just in time to see me put him to bed. Then, my favorite, she works every other weekend. The little guy is breastfed, so we're still having problems with bottle acceptance. It's a good thing a smile, giggle and cooing for five minutes can make up for hours of torment! Luckily 2 grandmothers are available locally to aid me.

Old habits die hard. In an effort to keep my cyber-time up to pre-baby levels, I have been experimenting with M$'s voice controls and dictation. They suck! Not to mention I get alot of weird stuff happening when the wee one burps.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
The last time I worked the first shift was August 2001. Our son was 4 months old then and I took care of him during the day while my wife was at work. Then I'd go to work from 10PM to 6AM. Been that way until May of last year when our daughter was born. We got a baby sitter then and I was able to move to second shift, 4PM to 12 midnight. Still watch over our kids during the day while I'm still home. Still do things like feed them, change diapers, give them baths, etc.

It demands a lot of your time, but it's fun and rewarding.

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Another Mr. Mom here. I was a full-time stay-at-home dad from the time my daughter was four months old until she started Kindergarten at age five. When she was two, my ex and I split, and I continued to be a full-time Mr. Mom. (My ex was -- and continues to be -- a pretty much useless non-parent). I remember praying for nap-time. :D And every day, when it came, I zonked out too.

Since then, I returned to work full-time, but have been able to structure a schedule that enables me to put her on the school bus each morning and meet the bus at the end of the school day.

It's incredibly exhausting, and incredibly rewarding. For the past two years, I have had the benefit and joy of having my fiancee there to share the responsibilities and the joys. On June 27th, she will officially take over step-mom duties. :)

Just remember how lucky you are to share this amazing time in your child's life. You'll treasure it forever, and remember -- your friends are all jealous!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Played Mr. Mom this past week. Wife was out of town on business. Gotta say it wasn't that bad, we actually had fun. Daughter being 10 years old probably helps with that. Although I did go to bed really late each night without the wife nagging to come to bed.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
carlito said:
Sounds like your situation is relatively new. How are you adjusting to the new schedule?
I haven't adjusted as yet. I am off on weekends and my weekends are basically shot because I can't do the things I would do around the house because my son is 2 almost 3. I have to constantly monitor him if I attempt to do any work. I do enjoy the time spent with him don't get me wrong plus we eat relatively good since I don't have the time to cook all 3 meals but I still need that time to do some daddy stuff around the house

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JazzMat said:
It's incredibly exhausting, and incredibly rewarding. For the past two years, I have had the benefit and joy of having my fiancee there to share the responsibilities and the joys. On June 27th, she will officially take over step-mom duties. :)

Just remember how lucky you are to share this amazing time in your child's life. You'll treasure it forever, and remember -- your friends are all jealous!
:thumbup: ...you got that right....and congrats!

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
...and my weekends are basically shot because I can't do the things I would do around the house because my son is 2 almost 3. I have to constantly monitor him if I attempt to do any work...
I'm chuckling at the memories. For five years, I got pretty much nothing done around the house except for child-care, cleaning and laundry. When you have ethe responsibility for a tike, projects just get put on indefinite hold. People who weren't stay-at-home parents would ask me what I did with all my "free-time." Free-time... Yeah. Riiiight. :roll:

It's also important for people to understand that people who choose to put their careers on hold to raise their kids without daycare give up a hell of a lot: Money, free-time, hobbies, any semblence of an adult conversation... :wink: I was financially able to spend the time with my kid instead of building my business (I pretty much put my graphics and consulting business on hold for five years), but it cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in both earned and future income. It was a choice I made, and I don't regret it for a second, but I had to battle the perception that somehow I wasn't working a hard as I could have been. Those who've done it know better.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Steven can relate. I cannot descrobe the stress it is for both of us - he never anticipated being a stay at home dad. He is not a Mr. Mom, he is a stay at home daddy. I caught him a few months ago on the phone with my mom - he was talking about working full time (still job shopping :( ) and how it would totally suck not to have the boys all morning.

I am thrilled to death that he is doing this. My career is kind of weird - there aren't a lot of people in my field, and I'm good at it. I got to pick the job I wanted, and it's a total dream to work at it. We are living on one income, pretty much - his part time job pays for the day care while he is at work and he gets one afternoon free a week. It's a huge sacrifice. I love him extra for it. :kiss: :heart:

The only downside - my boys are daddy's boys. I exist, but only as a source of truck money. ;)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
im only 17 but i hope when i grow up, theRockShow will support me and let me spend my days cooking, cleaning, and modding
just hope she does not read this :wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been there, back when my now-teen daughter was a toddler and I was between jobs. I actually enjoyed it! I got to spend a lot of time getting to know her and I found it very rewarding. After a couple of months, I was going a bit stir-crazy because of the lack of intellectual stimulation, but I have a lot of fond memories of that time.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Every weekend, I play Mr. Mom. This is why nothing ever gets done. NEVER!

This weekend was all about the sweet smell of rotting milk vomitted all over the place for 7 hours in the night. UGH!

With 2 kids under 2.5 years, it is a constant struggle to keep on your toes. My priority is my kids, so everything else is put on hold. I wish I didn't have to sleep, so I could get something done. :sleep:

·
Registered
393 Posts
My wife stays home with my 8month old little girl and 2.5 yr old boy. I work out of the house and when I am not traveling, I spend a lot of time with my children during the day. I am fortunate that I don't have the commute to take away from that time.

I do however take my little boy to "mothers morning out" on Mondays and Thursday's and to Gymboree once a week. It doesn't take up a lot of my time but I look like super Dad to other mothers. I also take my son with me wherever I go on the weekends, he is very well mannered and likes to get out.

Props to the guys and gals that stay home with their children I have a first hand experience to witness how challenging it really is.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
OCTICK said:

This weekend was all about the sweet smell of rotting milk vomitted all over the place for 7 hours in the night. UGH!
Past week....it was the same here.

Now imagine having 10 year old carpets on top of that....and a new project of getting new floors.... :mad:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

Now imagine having 10 year old carpets on top of that....and a new project of getting new floors....
rough :poke:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
passaturbonium said:
OCTICK said:

Now imagine having 10 year old carpets on top of that....and a new project of getting new floors.... :mad:
I did 4 loads of laundry during the night until we finally taught her to throw up in the bowl. She didn't like it, but it is better than having to change all her clothes, cleaning the carpets, and laying out a blanket of towels to try to catch everything.

As for projects, I have a list longer than Santa's. I was forced to do a new project this weekend. I will start a new post on that one. :mad:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
OCTICK said:
passaturbonium said:
OCTICK said:

I did 4 loads of laundry during the night until we finally taught her to throw up in the bowl. She didn't like it, but it is better than having to change all her clothes, cleaning the carpets, and laying out a blanket of towels to try to catch everything.

As for projects, I have a list longer than Santa's. I was forced to do a new project this weekend. I will start a new post on that one. :mad:
Try doing all that with 6 year old.....2.5 year old....and 1.5 year old...all sick at the same time.....nuts!!!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
14 Participants
Mister_Rogers
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing