Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase an extended warranty for my 2002 W8 w/32400 miles. Read alot of good things about warrantydirect, but looking for some unbiased opinions from people who have had first hand dealings with them.

VW is offering my a warranty through universal for 8 years/85kmiles for $1766 w $100 deductible. But it starts the first day of the car year, i.e. jan 1 2002. So I'm already down 3 years.

Just want to make sure I'm covered beyond VWs B2B since the W8 is going out of production. IMO service and parts will be astronomical down the line. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
648 Posts
What's the point of the VW warranty since you have already lost 3 years. I have an aftermarket warany (can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head)on my '02 1.8t. I paid $1000 for it and I have a $200 deductible. I have the deluxe option that covers just about everything including turbo, all electrical (which I think is important on VWs), and just about everything else except brakes, shocks, tires & glass. It even has trip interruption, towing, and lockout coverages w/ no deductible.

I've never heard anything bad about Warranty Direct. What's the cost and coverage on their warranty? Most companies have different levels of coverage and the prices go down as the deductible goes up. Are you looking at powertrain only or something more robust? The nice thing about most aftermarket warranties is that you can get the work done anywhere.

A couple of things to watch out for:
Just make sure that you do not have to pay the full amount out of pocket and then wait to be re-imbursed by the warranty company. On mine, I pay the deductible and the warranty company makes a call to the repair shop and puts the rest on their credit card. Also with most aftermarket warranties, the repair shop must call the warranty provider before making any repairs to get their approval first - otherwise they will not pay.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warranty direct wants $1980 for a 5yr/100k warranty.
The Auto Club wants $1695 for 6yr/100k warranty.

I've read going cheaper is not better regarding warranties. But the Auto Club is a part of The Nationwide Insurance Group. Just need a little more insight to make a decision. Both have about the same perks. Both are exclusion policies.

Just wish I could get some feedback from someone who has dealt with either of them first hand.

·
Registered
648 Posts
W8inde said:
Warranty direct wants $1980 for a 5yr/100k warranty.
The Auto Club wants $1695 for 6yr/100k warranty.
100K total vehicle miles or 100K miles from where your odo is now? If the latter that seems somewhat rare to me for a warranty to exceed 100K miles. You may be able to use Auto Club's pricing to get Warranty Direct to lower their prices. Auto Club is also 6 year so use that in your negotiations too. I did that when shopping for mine and was able to get a lower cost.

W8inde said:
I've read going cheaper is not better regarding warranties....
Read all of the fine print to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If something legitimately breaks then they have to fix it as long as its coverd. I would think that most of them are about the same to deal with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts