Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Mose of you probably know that on an A2 (85-92) VW the trip computer has an Oil temperature reading.

And now on our B5's with Turbo Coking issues and Hard driving, it would be nice to know the oil temp without adding an external guage.

Any thoughts or ideas from some real technical nuts out there. I would like to see the oil temp .... as I am only 1 week back in a B5 and I'm addicted to boost again.

Getting to the ECU / Guage Cluster / Any wiring in the car is OK with me. So, any thoughts are appreciated.

:suspicio:

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump - Wouldn't it be cool to digitally monitor the oil temp and see when its safe to shut the car down?

Any ideas on how to work with the trip compter's features? To modify? What the proper source of the oil temp signal would be?

Thanks

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
This would indeed be cool - but my first impression is that it would be less effort to simply install a conventional gauge. And from a driver's standpoint, it would be much more practical in that you can glance at the gauge anytime w/o having to press buttons for the MF display.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
ericpeterman said:
Rusty, where would an oil temp sensor go (in the engine) for such a gauge?
There's already a spot for it in the oil filter housing. The "Information" section of the website (not the Info Forum) had a good writeup. That section of the website seems to be gone - ???

EDIT: I found it. You have to navigate to "Marketplace", then "Features", then "Information" - http://www.clubb5.com/information/oilguage.shtml

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw the empty spot next to the Oil cooler housing - Also, thinking we could get some of this stuff from a crashed A4 with a 1.8t? And use that for the sending unit.

The only question is can we get it to work in the dash multi function display. Now that would be trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.