Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife is dying for one of these, but unfortunately, to keep us at one car payment, it would be my baby that would have to go in order to get one:( . We're thinking of having a rug-rat and need something dependable and bigger than her Integra. And we agreed that the next car would be her choice.
Anyone know the good, bad and uglies on these?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I considered one before getting our Jetta TDI just recently.
Beautifully finished, decent power, lots of standard equipment - it just doesn't "feel" like a VW.
And you don't need another SUV when you have an old Rnage Rover, anyway.
I know the RAV has a V6, etc. - but Hondas four is really just as well in that class of car.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
My mom/dad putter around in one...a 1998. But then my dad got bored, and we supercharged it in 1999.

After ~100k miles, its nothing short of the most reliable car we've ever owned, even supercharged. Burns no oil. Only maintenance is oil every 3-5k, and supercharger belts (the tensioner pulley has an unusually small diameter, which leads to belt cracking, but that's our fault, not Honda's). There are no "quirks" like you're used to in a VW...everything just works. Amazing, huh.

Ever consider the RDX? It might be a little more fun for you, and still suit her as well.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
My wife drives one - 2001 MY. She loves it, but I'm not as much of a fan. I think its way underpowered, but I believe newer versions have increased HP. Other than that, its great. Its her daily driver, and its never spent a day in the shop for anything other than regular maintenance.

JIMMY - MORE INFO ON THE SUPERCHARGER PLEASE. I doubt I'd get my wife to do it, but I'd love to know more about it.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My wife drives a 2001 EX. She loves it too. SIt up higher than a car, can be had with a clutch, does 26MPG, goes in snow, and is an appliance. For the 80k we owned it the maintenance cost is running 2.5cents a mile. Compare to 7.9 on my VW! Yea, low power and seats suck. The second generation CRV is better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts