Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do my 1st oil change on my B5.5 this weekend and I wanted to see if anyone out there had any hints. I have all the stuff, filter, oil (syn. oil, I don't want to stir up another debate), new drain plug. My question is, what should I be looking for with the belly pan removal? Should I use ramps or jack stands? :???:
TIA

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I got mine from eBay. It's the Tempo oil boy, now I couldn't love doing oil changes more. I still put in almost 4 quarts of oil either way :)

TIP: If you remove the belly pan, when you put the plastic screws back in, use a coat of rubber cement on the threads and on the head when you screw them back in, it'll stop them from popping out due to vibration. :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have thought about the oil extractor, but I have some concerns about going from the dealer's dino oil to full syn. I wanted to be able to get out as much of the dino oil as possible.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
joshua said:
I have thought about the oil extractor, but I have some concerns about going from the dealer's dino oil to full syn. I wanted to be able to get out as much of the dino oil as possible.
Somebody here used an extractor and then pulled the drain plug, just to see what was left. Nothing came out.

Also, I won't worry that much about the tiny residual of the dino juice. Just do the change and add the synth. Really, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If an oil extractor is used, do you remove the oil filter from above, thus obviating the need to remove the belly pan, or do you still need to remove the belly pan to access the oil filter from below?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes...you remove it from above. First remove the bolts to the coolant resevoir. Then move the resevoir out of the way, and you should have plenty of room to work. Some people like to put a bag around the filter right before the oil starts to come out to help with messes.

Please note as well, that if this is a new Passat, then the current filter will be a bitch to get off. You will definitely need something other than just your hands.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I tried an oil extractor from JC Whitney. I used it a couple times and it turned out to be a lot more hassle. First off, I made a huge mess with hoses and wires running all over the place. Then, I was never confident that I'd gotten all the oil out. Once you change the oil a couple times and get used to the routine, you can do it just as fast I bet.

I don't use ramps and get the job done easily. I found(I've also read it on here) that using quarters to remove the belly pan is a lot easier than a screwdriver in tight places. I don't use a new drain plug, but I've got new copper washers. I'm gonna try 0W-40 for the first time next time I change it.

Jonathan

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
x said:
Yes...you remove it from above. First remove the bolts to the coolant resevoir. Then move the resevoir out of the way, and you should have plenty of room to work. Some people like to put a bag around the filter right before the oil starts to come out to help with messes.
True for the 1.8T, not the 2.8 V6.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Just remember that on the belly pan, the front two Dzus fasteners are longer than the back three. Don't get them mixed up or your belly pan may fall off.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The pela 6000 oil extractor is really nice. I use it on my 1.8t and my wife's TDI.

BTW, I've found that removing the rubber hose that runs between the intercooler and the throttle body gives enough clearance to get to the oil filter from above.

-Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
x said:
Please note as well, that if this is a new Passat, then the current filter will be a bitch to get off. You will definitely need something other than just your hands.
Very true. On my first oil change with my '03 Passat (and on any car) I had a very hard time removing the oil filter. I bent my oil filter wrench in the process.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
aside the belly pan its very easy to do with out a extractor

you can do with just the jack ( jack up the drivers side take off the oil filter lower it to get out that last little bit of oil then jack it back up put everything back then back down)

it sounds like work but its not that bad i have the v6 so i have to take the belly pan off to get the fileter anyway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts