Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Have a bit of a problem and was wondering if anyone could help. I have had a look around and cant seem to find the query, but if it has been done before, i apologise.

I have a 98 B5, 1.6 Petrol, which i love, but recently noticed problems with the central locking, then windows, then internal lights. I got it looked at and it seems a seal under the pollen filter had been leaking and water has gradually been getting in. To cut a long story short, the E.C.U. under the passenger seat (it's R.H.D.) is knackered and so are the connectors and some of the wiring loom. I have found another E.C.U. (apologies if this isn't the correct term, but i got it from the Haynes manual) but the part numbers differ and they seem to be wired dirrerently. My part number is 1 J0 959 799 followed by F/0A, if that's any use. It dosn't seem to be made by anyone, other than VW, although it does have a small "HELLA" stamped on it, but definately no BOSCH or SIEMENS.
My question is, does anyone know anything about these E.C.U's and do I have to use exactly the same one or can another be adapted. Are they only found in Passat's, or can they be got from Golf's or even Octavia's?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
The part you are talking about would be the "conveineince control module" or "CCM." This unit is located under the drivers side floor board and controls all of the windows, interior lighting, dimming, etc. It has been known that the seal on the pollen filter housing can go bad, or if not reinstalled correctly, can allow water into the cabin. I am assuming that the pollen filter is located on the left side of the car (since yours is RHD) and in the US the CCM is located on the drivers side, under the floor board right in front of the drivers seat. Is yours located on the passeger side in front of the passengers feet?

I havent read of any other company making the CCM other then the "Hella" stamp on the module. Some people have been lucky to use some electrical parts cleaner and clean the electrodes and wires off from the CCM and repackage the unit back up. Some have been able to put it all back together and not have a single problem. From what I recall, some VW dealers are replacing these units and are charging in excess of $500 USD or more for parts and labor (sorry, dont remember exact dollar amounts.

Hope this helps and welcome to the club
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,

Yes, that seem to be the part. It is indeed located under the passenger's side seat. As you said, a new one is very expensive since my connectors and wiring are corroded from the water so the ideal solution would be to pull one fron a breaker's yard. What i was wondering is, are the very specific or can they be adapted? Thanks for your help and the welcome to the group. It is an excellent site, filled with knowledgeable people :bow: :wink:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
You can adapt the module to your car but you would have to find one with the same part number. Make sure that the one you pull is of the same as the one from your car. And if you are going to need the harness from the pulled car make sure you leave atleast a good 6-8" of wires to you have enough room to splice everything in with the current harness on your car.

You will eventually need a vagcom to clear any codes and recode your keys. You wont be able to program any new keys to the new module because it will have other keys locked in its memory. So, there will be some adaption needed for this. Maybe someone else can chime in here as to what else would be needed.

Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've heard of people taking some time to help dry out their existing CCM and installing new cables/wires. Definitely a good way to keep from having to spend big money and the reprogramming issues.

I'd give that a try first unless the old CCM is trashed for sure :( .

Of course, either way you go you have to make sure the leak is contended with :beer: .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help guys. The leak has been fixed but the old one is completely trashed :sad:
I am trying to get about 8-10 inches of the wiring loom (plus connectors if possible) but was am finding it difficult to locate that exact part. I was wondering if it might be in other vw's or even an octavia or audi so it might improve my chances of finding it?
Thanks again :thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Your best bet would be to match the part numbers and make sure the plugs can line up correctly.

I did manage to get some of the features back like partial locking and interior lighting by cleaning out the CCM and wiring with electrical cleaner. I also redid all the crimps I could find which turned up a bad grounding point and some broken wires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts