Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Passat folks. I'm doing a "simple" front brake pad change on my 2001.5 1.8T. The sensor wire on the passenger side was fubar so a pad change seemed like an easy Sunday afternoon project. The driver's side changed out with no problems at all, but the passenger side is another story. I can't get the bottom caliper guide pin to line up and thread into the mounting bracket. I've been at this for entirely too long..:banghead:..It will thread without the caliper so no stripping issue. It will line up and thread through the caliper without pads so presumably no hole alignment issue. When I add the pads I can only get the top pin to thread into the bracket.

Any helpful hints from the collective wisdom of ye olde Passatworld? I have to get this done tonight cuz I need to report for work tomorrow 300 miles from here.

Thanks

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it done. Thanks for the suggestions. As far as I can tell it took several things:
1. Step away from the frustration
2. Consult the forum
3. Enjoy a cold beer (perhaps the key to victory here)
4. Approach the task from a new angle
5. Double check pad seating
6. Smack that rascal with a ball peen

Seriously, thanks

J

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Got it done. Thanks for the suggestions. As far as I can tell it took several things:
1. Step away from the frustration
2. Consult the forum
3. Enjoy a cold beer (perhaps the key to victory here)
4. Approach the task from a new angle
5. Double check pad seating
6. Smack that rascal with a ball peen

Seriously, thanks

J
#1 on your list always helps in my experience. It's amazing how stepping away from the problem for a while can allow you to solve the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.